Reef Discussion

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Ok, I give up, what do YOU think it is??
I had these put aside for me at the LFS last week and I picked them up today. Spent the past week trying to decide what they are, exactly. They were $10 ea.
I thought they were sun coral at first. Then I thought they were dendrophyllia (and by the way, I had no idea it was the name of a paraphilia until I saw the wiki definition and the images of trees:eek)
Then I thought they were balanophyllia (I avoided looking at the wiki or urban dictionaries definitions because being a curious person, I would get side-tracked)
And now I don't know.:(
They are three different colors - pink, yellow and orange. I am hoping they aren't dead. I haven't seen them open but since the fungia I'd put aside at the LFS died in their care, I am a bit worried now. I thought they'd lose their color if they'd died? The pink one has spongey growth around the base
Anyway, this is them:
12 2011 013.jpg

anyone?

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
*shrugs stupidly*
I dunno?
The LFS had them labelled "flower polyp coral" which wasn't at all helpful *sigh*
I've been watching them since I put them in and i've noticed the "mouth" of the left one has "filled in" then opened up again. It appears to be doing something so must, therefore, be alive!!
yay!!:D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Yup spot on, they are a NPS the one on the right is nearly dead. You can save it but need to get onto it straight away, the one of the left is half starved from the transport process.

The center one is amazing! I have oranges, purples, reds, whites and pinks but I have never seen a yellow.

They are a lot trickier to get to feed than denro's or tubastra but once you get them fattened up and used t regular feeding they are awesome corals. Unfortunately most people end up slowing killing these without correct care.

What they look like intially or if you dont put in any care

ai489.photobucket.com_albums_rr255_NiCd_album_181220102124.jpg

This is what will usually be you first stages of getting it out during the photo period

ai489.photobucket.com_albums_rr255_NiCd_album_160720113878.jpg

This is what a happy one looks like once you get them settled

ai489.photobucket.com_albums_rr255_NiCd_album_020720113811.jpg

Let me know if you want help or tips and tricks to feed them initially

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
10 gold stars to everyone!! Thank you for your replies & info - I had a feeling they were special as I'd not seen them in either LFS before (tho I think 1 has black dendros, now I think about it). I could tell they were unhappy little corallites @ the LFS but figured that as they were still brightly colored, they were still hanging on. If I can get them to thrive & bud, I'd b glad to share them :-D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Love to get a little mini one of that yellow when the time comes!

They are live bearers and 1-6 little mini me's come out of the polyp mouth and then walk down the side over the mother over a period of days and generally settle next to the parent coral. I have only had this happen once in two years of keeping them but it is very rewarding when it does happen. Mine settled right around the mouth of the mother and ended up smothering her but I now have a little cluster of four of them that balloon out to look like a flower bouquet

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Seriously? I have a mental image of little yellow M&Ms marching down the side of the coral, complete with checkered kerchiefs tied to sticks & waving goodbye to Mum as they troop off into the wide world..... Did i mention I have weird mental processes? Lol!
I took pix of them before work today & they'v puffed out so u can't see their skeleton anymore. Can't wait to see them when I get home!!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
NPS are really starting to intrigue me I think it is their delicate, translucent yet don't touch me or I sting you look they have.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Oh, ok. Wondered :-)
So they can sting then? I didn't read that particular detail anywhere during my searches - the various experts & forums just kept arguing over whether they need good light or not & the intricacies of the differences between Dendros & Tubastreas :-(
Best not to touch then?

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Just took some pix a few minutes ago and this is how the orange and yellow guys are going. The Orange one is poking out a few coy little tentacles and the yellow appears about to burst!
12 2011 004.jpg

12 2011 001.jpg

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I took pix this morning and BOTH have their tentacles poking out - looks like a gaping mouth full of tiny teeth!! Will post pix when i get home from work :-)