News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
November Update
Hello everyone,

This is just a quick update so everyone knows what is going on.

Over the last week users have posted that they have been unable to access The Reefuge. We have looked into this matter as much as we possibly can. The server was checked and no faults or bugs were found. This means it is an error out of our control. Tech support was informed and we asked them to check the DNS, to which they replied no error was found.

As much as I would like to say they are correct, there is still a chance that someone sitting behind a desk in some part of the world made a mistake which caused DNS issues (most likely). This is a problem we are unable to confirm if it is fixed or not. Due to the nature of this, we ask that we work as a community to further troubleshoot this problem. If there are any further issues, and you are no longer able to access the site for one reason or another, please feel free to contact us. The direct e-mail is mail [[@]] thereefuge.com.au. This will help further investigate possible causes.

On another note, a new moderator joins our staff. The Classifieds section has been in need of a moderator to help keep things clean and tidy. We would like to welcome leodb89 to The Reefuge staff. Leo will be taking care of the classifieds section, and is our chosen dedicated moderator. If anyone has any problems or would like a post marked as sold, please contact leodb89 and he will be sure to help you out.

On yet another note, I have been receiving messages lately from a few businesses and members alike in regards to the future of The Reefuge. For some reason, people believe that in order to ensure a safe future for a website, the website needs to charge its members for services (such as the state groups). This is not true.

The sole reason the website is completely free for members is due to my political views. Knowledge should be completely free to anyone who wishes to access it. There are no secret sections on this website which are accessible if you pay a fee because we simply don't believe that people should need to pay for services like this. The website is doing better than ever, it is slowly gaining popularity and for the most part, members of this community seem happy with the way things are going.

Businesses are slowly seeing the potential of The Reefuge, and in small numbers are slowly taking interest in the website. This allows growth and tighter networking within the hobby. Coding is still being worked on, and as stated previously, The Reefuge Australia is the test baby and main platform for the network that will be coming up. We would love to see a reef community networking members from all around the world to be open and free for all members. With this comes a greater understanding of exactly how things work, and businesses will have a powerful platform in which to advertise their products.

This however can not be done just by staff. We would like for all members to throw our name out there when they can. If you have friends with tanks, please feel free to tell them that we exist. Show people that there is an open and free site out there where people can learn from each other. We pride ourselves on having a powerful, supportive and friendly community. All we need now are more members to add to the hive mind.

Thanks.

malau

Oct 13, 2011
For the unable to connect here... if they have same situation as me it is due to milestone network or something like that one of the hop when I did traceroute stopped..

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi malau,

Can you please post your traceroute readout? It may be worth ringing your ISP to see what is going on.

Thanks.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
congrats Leo

I spread the word on the site as much as I can. Most users are on another reefing forum that is full of polotics, so the idea of an open forum where we can just chat, share info and have a laugh at the same time is a massive draw. I have brough 3-4 members over myself, granted some have not stuck around, but I will keep doing so as this is the best group I have been part of.

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
The access problems might be due to your web host ISP or the clients. We have been chasing connection problems for clients in the last week or so. Telstra and exetel mostly, they are aware and are working on it.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The access problems might be due to your web host ISP or the clients. We have been chasing connection problems for clients in the last week or so. Telstra and exetel mostly, they are aware and are working on it.
Hello alan,

We contacted tech support and were assured that the problem was not with their ISP (though, there is a 50/50 chance). If we work together with troubleshooting we will be able to trace the source of the fault a lot easier. I have a feeling the problem is in Australia though. Having said that, there is an equal chance it is in the servers backbone.

Thanks.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
our clients on telstra are also having issues with random websites, each time i tracked it down to being dns not relaying from the providor (telstra what do you expect?)

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
MTU issues we are seeing, just like DNS problems, it can take weeks to sort. I use telstra dns servers everywhere and havent had any issues here.