Reef Discussion

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Well the guys at The Rock Aquarium in Willloughby wouldn't swap my coral, they said there the experts and you guys dont know what your talking about it is easy to keep they sell them all them time.

I tried to tell him to look online and people with many years of research say otherwise

he said hes not interested they dont do refunds/exchanges I should of checked before I bought it.

I then went on to say I checked with the shop and trusted what you told me, I've spent alot of money in here and you will loose a customer if you take that stance.

He said when your spending that much money you should know better.

At this point i was ready for giving him a slap so had to walk away. very very pissed off that I cant go to that shop any more as its only 10 mins away :(

On the way out the young girl that works there said he hasnt got a clue what hes talking about sorry!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i say name and shame....thats really dirty shouldve just brought up the liveaquaria.com website it states there that its expert only...anyways not to worry im sure there are some LFS out there that would enjoy your business :)

i have the aragalive fiji pink...this has the cycling bacteria.. @NiCd would this cause issues seeing as though hes having ammonia spikes constantly might not be a good idea? if so then grab the 6kg bags as its not the live stuff, i got mine from age of aquariums, looked at LFS and tbh nothing cut it the carribsea is amazing

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
I love the shop keepers comment....they're easy to keep, we sell them all the time...LOL.

As others have said here....don't add anything else..just skim, keep up the water changes, maintain good flow. In time, your tank will settle down.

If I can give one piece of advice, don't use any more snake oils, just let nature take its course.....and good luck.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
well today my ammonia is down to 0 and nitrite is up to 2 PPM, looks like im nearing the end of a mini cycle. I decided to buy another tank too, ive upgraded my QT tank to an Aqua one 40 (55l)

I looks much better, i had my QT tank on display as I had no where to keep it so I cant have it looking grubby.

Do you think I should just move everything out of the other tank inc water or should I let it cycle and run all 3 for a few weeks. there very similar in size about 10L difference in total

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
yeah the LFS near me said they were easy to keep and no probs...

but yeah i asked my encyclopaedia and it said expert only....but having said that i guess their view on the coral is "well i can keep it why cant anyone else, its easy for us" but guess they dont realise we're not in front of our tank 8 hrs a day

scott how'd you go with talkin got the manager? and please dont tell me you went and bought the aqua one from them?

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
haha LEO :)

no chance of buying that from them, I went to the guys in Blacktown, those guys are much more professional but too far away I only get chance to go every now and again.

I will call him tomorrow, not going back in.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Can you describe the three tanks in detail with respect to:
1 - how long have the two you have been running and what is in them now?
2 - what are the PO4 / NO3 levels in these two tanks?
3 - what is currently in the new tank?
4 - what are you trading to do with the 3 tanks?
I may be able to offer some assistance if I have this information.

Cheers

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Chris,

I just decided move the QT tank into the new one, I reused all the old water rocks macro and pretty much everything else, I also used the sand which was in my old DT too, I kept that with a small amount of saltwater outside.

I will deffinatly see a new cycle but I just wanted to get it out of the way, my big issue was the main tank thanks to this threads help its all back on track.

FYI the QT tank will have 1 yellow headed goby as its permanent resident and thats about it. I may end up putting mushrooms and soem easy to keep stuff in there eventually but for now it looks ok with live rock, a goby, and some macro algae :)

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
OK, you shouldn't see much of a cycle, but I would expect an algae bloom possibly. If so, just ride it out and it will settle.

You may be able to score / borrow a fox face to assist in speeding up the algae cycle. It's best to let it go, the rabbit fish will clean it up in no time.

Good luck with it all, hopefully your new set up goes well.

Cheers and Merry Xmas.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
OK, you shouldn't see much of a cycle, but I would expect an algae bloom possibly. If so, just ride it out and it will settle.

You may be able to score / borrow a fox face to assist in speeding up the algae cycle. It's best to let it go, the rabbit fish will clean it up in no time.

Good luck with it all, hopefully your new set up goes well.

Cheers and Merry Xmas.
Yes thanks to you and the other guys on here, thanks for all your help :) will keep you posted have a good one