Off-Topic

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Next Gen Consoles
So what are everyone's thoughts on the new consoles?

I am currently only playing PS4, played the One for the week before PS4 was out but IMO PS4 is far better. Much sharper and smoother than the One. Really enjoying AC, Battlefield is ok but a bit disappointed in it at the moment.

The remote play on the Vita is also an excellent addition, using that alot.

What are you guys playing?

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
I Bought them both with a few games each and here are my thoughts
Just note prior that im no fanboy of either system and have owned pretty much every console that has come out in the last 20 years.

PS4..
I played my PS4 for about 5 hours on Friday night and then packed all back up in the box. Its on ebay right now.
What i didn't like about it,
-Very ugly unit. Possibly the ugliest console ever made!
-Strip of light on the actual console is plain stupid. So distracting in a dark room.
-No exclusive games to play until at least March next year. - Killzone omg is dreadfall. Knack is just as bad if not worse. Battlefield is broken online.
-Interface is very old and last gen looking.
-Blu ray drive is noisy, sounds like a laptop drive spooling up.
-Controller not very comfortable and battery life is terrible.
-Cant play MP3 or CD's as yet

What I did like about it,
Blu Ray movie playback is nice and upscaled my 4k disks very well.

Xbox One
This is surprisingly very good!
-Excellent interface that feels Next Gen
-The controller is the best ever made and has options for normal batteries.
-Console is very quiet and i like the simple square VCR look of it.
-Exclusive Games- Forza is a great game, Ryse is a game that looks spectacular, best looking game on both consoles.
-Kinect system is just awesome, so acurate.
-Speech recognition works a treat, i thought it would be a gimmick but believe me you will love it!
-Free downloadable game Killer Instinct is great!
-Xbox online service is second to none.

From my experience it goes to show you that having the most power on paper doesnt transform into a better console.
I understand its early days and im sure the PS4 will be fantastic in time when exclusives like Uncharted, Last of US 2 etc come out in years to come. When this happens i will buy it again but until then the Xbox One shines in my living room and cant wait until Titanfall in a few months...

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Will be getting a ps4 but that light strip sounds annoying! I can't stand unnecessary lights on electronic items.
I'm looking forward to watchdogs

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I have the ps4, traded in battlefield already, but enjoying call of duty ghosts single and multiplayer..

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
@vpreef I am the exact opposite. I think the One is dreadful, doubt I will get any use out of it. Graphically it is not even in the same ball park, it has a crap processor and 90% of games will be run at 720p upscaled, may as well have a 360.

The kinnect is good, I like it more than I thought I would, but not enough of a draw to me.

I also think the xbox looks horrible, I mean you just said it looks like a VCR player right?

Kinnect isnt much of an improvment from the 360 as far as I can tell?

Will be an each to their own argument but my one isnt even plugged in..

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
On saying all the, I do feel the one has a few good features. Xbox has always been better online, whether the improvements Sony have made will change that, time will tell.

I like the non gaming features of the one as well, it's laid out better but the PS4 has been designed to suit the vita play, which is a massive part of the PS4 experience. Right now my wife is watching TV and I have AC steaming to the Vita an it's excellent.

They are both good consoles, but designed for different purposes

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i picked up the ps4 on launch, (midnight mind you)
cod ghosts
bf4
and kill zone

bf4 is decent i enjoy it. save game corrupted tho shitted me off
LOVE COD GHOSTS!!! best single player of cod ive played in ages and felt new an fluid. very impressed here!
killzone unplayd yet!

whos on psn shoot me names so i can add allways looking for people to play with.

stripped and sold my gaming pc and went to the ps4 with no regrets. would love ryse but ive always been a playstation fanboy

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I will not be getting either until they are back playable. For now i will be highly content with a ps3 or 360, as there will not be many if any next gen exclusive games, for the next few years at least, and i like the option of going back and playing some of the classics. Yeah thats about it really

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
What is an exclusive game you guys are talking about?

Do you have to play for ps4 online play? Someone told me it will be like Xbox online with a yearly fee?

Right now I can't get good lobbies on the ps3. I have 100% signal strength and all that jazz but half the time get stuck in nz or Japan. It's really peeving me off especially since I'm virtually Internet challenged lol I'd be p!ssed off paying for online subscription and be stuck in the same situation!

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
What is an exclusive game you guys are talking about?

Do you have to play for ps4 online play? Someone told me it will be like Xbox online with a yearly fee?

Right now I can't get good lobbies on the ps3. I have 100% signal strength and all that jazz but half the time get stuck in nz or Japan. It's really peeving me off especially since I'm virtually Internet challenged lol I'd be p!ssed off paying for online subscription and be stuck in the same situation!
ahh the fun of the playstation network.... Yes you have to pay a yearly fee on both consoles for online gaming.

I have to disagree with you Ant, we (my friend an I) played Fifa and Assassins Creed 4 on both consoles with barely any noticeable difference. If anything the contrast was nicer on the Xbox One and PS4 was a little washed out. For me though its always been about gameplay anyhow, a game can have the best graphics in the world but if it plays like shit im not interested. Look at Counterstrike online, looks like shit but an awesome game to play.

The PS4 is definitely more powerful on paper but will be a while until any game uses its full potential. Look at the PS3, it was 7 years until something descent that pushed its absolute limits came out. Lets hope that doesnt happen on the PS4.

I will be getting another PS4 when something exclusive is worth it, in the meantime the cross platform games are pretty much identical on both consoles and prefer the online service and controller on the Xbox, far superior.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hey @vpreef,

Couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Can you get an exact measurement of the consoles width? From what I can find online the hole I plan to put it in is within a few mm of being to small but I haven't been able to find confirmed measurements.
2. How long from unboxing to playing the first game? Santa is bringing one for the boy but last thing I need is a 1 hour download for a game patch before it can be used - imagine the pain of it all....

Thanks

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Hey Macca,

I will measure it tonight for you, both consoles needed an update when i first switched them on.
From memory it was around 30min or so to get them both going, wasnt that bad.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
30 mins for you isn't bad. 30 mins in the morning with a kid that can't play his new Xmas present = unhappy wife = unhappy life.

I think I might have to unbox it, set it up and preload the game/updates, etc then box it all up. Hmmmm - I was really hoping not to unbox it.

Thanks heaps @vpreef

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
guess we are seeing different things mate, both battlefield and AC look much better on the PS4 to me. PS4 runs way smoother IMO.

IGN have done a good series of side by side comparrisons, here is their battlefield one
Xbox goes 'pixelly' when there is alot going on or he is moving quick, very typical of upscaled HD.

All in all I am disspaointed with the one, I am more of an Xbox fan than Playstaion but I personally prefer the 360 to the one, regret buying it. I actually have a mate collecting it this afternoon to use for a month or so as I have no use for it. Real shame :(

Yes PS plus needs to be paid for to play online, PSN was not great on the PS3 but it was free, so hard to point a stick at it. The servers were not maintained like they needed or set out well, again it was free. Yet to have any problems at all on PS4, plus you get free games every month for having PS Plus.

It will be a while until there is backward compatibility, if at all. Rumours of a cloud service but not sure of the nuts and bolts behind it.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Sorry Ant, the Xbone for me (and the last 2 consoles I owned were/are the Wii (original) and PS1 so I am no fan boy of either. Maybe it's because the contrast is a little lighter.

That said don't they both have near identical processors and graphics, but slightly faster memory on the PS4?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
PS4 has 8GB GDDR5 as oppsed to the one running 8GB DDR3. The PS4 hardrive is removable and expandable, xbox you are stuck with that comes in the box. Also I hate the wireless utilities being WI-FI, PS4 use bluetooth.

Trying my best not to hate on the one, but it just doesn't stack up for me.

You won't go wrong with either console, but to pay $100 more for the xbox is something I regretted 30 minutes after using the PS4.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Fair enough. I haven't played either and both are an upgrade from the Wii I guess.