Tank Journal Archive

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Nano rock pool
My god the multi tank bug has bitten me hard ! Gunna make a look down rock pool now !

Type of reef: nano rock pool

Initial Fill Date:......

Display Tank Dimensions: 40x40x20cm

Display Lighting: twin t5ho

Stand: desk

Hood or Rimless: rimless

Sump Design: canister of LR

Filtration: natural

Support systems: none

NSW or ASW: asw

Display Water circulation: canister return with hydor flo

Return Pump: canister

Skimmer:none

Evaporation Top Up: manual

Chemical additions: none

Calcium Addition: randys manual

Alkilinity Addition: randys manual

Magnesium Addition: randys manual

Pics to follow I'm going to use a plastic tub to start with to see how it runs and if it works I'll make up a proper DT.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i had a frag tank that depth almost all fish jumped out eventually try get something that wont jump!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
oh :confused: i was thinking maybe just a couple of chromis..... its going to be mainly inverts couple of shrimp... waratah nems.... an urchin....... and some sort of crabs.... rethinking it actually might make the glass a little higher say 30cm and create create 12-15cm fibreglass pool base with a lip around the edge ....... excuse my shit paint drawings
cross.png
top.png

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
cant afford another mental light to keep one in there otherwise i porb would... unless a twin octopus t5HO 30 above but only 6" of water would suffice ??? but i doubt it :(

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
going to make the "rockwork" out of fibreglass and have 2 small inlet at 45' in each corner running off a scwd and 1200LPH canister.... water change will be about 9L weekly when i clean out the canister... very thin sand bed only couple mm thick...... not sure how to seal the fibreglass tho to make it look somewhat realistic... any ideas ? maybe textured paint ??

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If it wasnt very high above the waters surfance I dont think that would be too far off what they require. Big diffence between 24" of water and 6"

Maybe a little LED spot lamp with tight optics straight on the clam to supliment?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
well the rest of the tank is virtually going to nps so maybe a par38 bulb in a "clamp lamp" straight on the clam and the rest would just use the dissipated light ?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
the t5 i have is 2X24W so 48W in 6" seems pretty high already ?! im making this tank so i could make it 60x30 footprint if i wanted ;)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
well the rest of the tank is virtually going to nps so maybe a par38 bulb in a "clamp lamp" straight on the clam and the rest would just use the dissipated light ?
I recon that would do it! If your going NPS have you had a look at rhizos?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i would go with a led spotlight (i saw adam beat me to it)
one of the ones with 7 x 3w crees in it and the tight topics. have this up high above the water so it doesent ruin the look (hang it from the roof)
60x60x.30 could work.
par 38 would be my light i choice