Reef Discussion

What style of lighting do you think is best on balance...ie not just +++$$$$

• Total voters

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
MH, T5 or LED
The never ending question....which light to go for.

Tank is 1400 x 600 x 750mm deep......and rethinking light...I would like to be able to keep a clam on the sand bed and a birdsnest coral low down in the tank (down the track).

I have an Aqua Medic 2 x 150W + 2 x54W T5 + 3 LED moonlight and have been told it's no good for the depth of the tank.

It's the last think I need and money has run out...almost so looking for options.

1. There's a 1800mm Aqua Medic 3 x 250W + 2 x 8W T5 (so would overhang each end by 200mm but the MH are set back so they would just be at the ends

2. Buy the right length of previous item

On the MH I understand running costs but they're much easier to put through the budget ....LOL

3. T5 or compact fluorescent.....not keen on these personally

4. LED problem is too expensive for ones that do the stuff...and not really sure what I'm after....would love to spend under $1,000 which I can with 1, 2 and 3....but for LED not sure

If you have LED's seems they need some conrol features...dimming, etc ...actually dimming and moonlight are a must

Appreciate any comments

BooY

Aug 10, 2011
Birkdale, Brisbane
Since you are tight for money, I would go the MH option to get you through since although running costs are higher the outlay for the lights themselves are quiet cheap. That way you can then upgrade later down the track to a proper T5 or LED lighting solution when you have more to spend and they tech is more proven and should be cheaper.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
That's the other thing...am in the building industry and have used LED's for quite a few years and have seen technology get better and prices get cheaper....it's really not that long ago that dimmable LED's were hardly seen at all.
Just look at house low voltage gear...20 years ago Reggiani sold them for about $120+ a light and now down to less than $5 for cheapies

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I think if you can balance the T5 and LED you would end up with a good amount of light. I am in the process of trying to source some LED but my issue is with the area they need to go in. I can only fit a 150mm max square area of LED at either end of the T5's. I will have to custom make them and fit to an intergrated hood. I think the process of fitting will be fine, just being able to fit as many LED as I can in that size area will be the issue. really need to get the kit to know what I am doing.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Prior to starting this thread I bought light sight unseen Aqua Medic 2 x 250W, 2 x 54W T5 and 3 x LED moonlight...problem is arrived and turned out to be 2 x 150W which I know is not enough....so will have to sell that one and get something else.

I can pick up a 1 year old 1800mm Aqua Medic for $800, 3 x 250W MH, 2 x 80W T5......so it would overhand tank by 200mm each end but the MH's are set in so would be right at the ends of the tank....then I have a light for a longer tank as a bonus...what do you think.

In your opinion for less than $1,000 would there be a better option....I could use the 2 x 150W very short term I guess if I had to.

Any help would be much appreciated

you could use a combo, could get 3 120w led unit and get a double tube t5 unit to supplement some extra color.
can easily be done under $1000 and have full control with a few timers

problem with those leds is their colour ratio isn't that good for coral growth. http://www.amdbulbs.com/site/ this guy i think has got the new cree fittings. :) Also ati model for 600 hundred wide would be the 8 bulb.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
T5's will work out to be fairly expensive , Up to $280 to replace ATI globes every year for an 8 globe @ $ 35 a globe