Reef Discussion

V

'vspec'

Got to love some of our conversations. Could happily discuss technical docket items in between a flurry of poking fun with you lot!
Wouldn't have it any other way

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Ok, after the innitial setback, I have the original shrimp in with a newcommer. They have been partitioned off from each other for several weeks. Noticed the smaller of the 2 banging at the partition for over an hour. I decided to remove the partition and it went straight into the hole of the other mantis shrimp. Fearing the worst, I could not bear to look. I decided to brave it and lo-and-behold, the 2 were mating. The 2 are now living together in the same hole, sharing the dsaime food and staying in close physical contact. Strange behaviour in-deed.
Well there was your problem right there, the male needed to be made to wait in order to fully appreciate the female. Maybe they just needed to get to know one another first in order for him to commit? ;)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
How large are these guys now? I had one in the past that was only an inch long - you'll be pleased to hear I gave it to a reefer who was going to keep it as a pet and had been waiting months for someone to give him their unwanted one.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
How large are these guys now? I had one in the past that was only an inch long - you'll be pleased to hear I gave it to a reefer who was going to keep it as a pet and had been waiting months for someone to give him their unwanted one.
the male is about 3 inches long. The female is currently half this size.

V

'vspec'

If your able, try to track down the TED talk relating. Fantastic content at the best of time, however the research in this area was sweet to see.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Are they harmless to people generally or do you need to be careful putting your hand in the tank?
the smashes have the potential to break bone/glass (if they are large) and the spearers can cause nasty wounds. However, once they become accustome to you, the are very placid!