Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Mantis Shrimp
Hi All,

Currently in the process of trying to bred Mantis Shrimp (Gonodactylus graphius). I have a adult pair (male and female) living harmoniously in a Nano tank with no agression thus far. Just like to know if anyone has has any experiences with breeding Mantis Shrimp, particularly in regards to rasing the fry (and I don't mean in a BBQ in oil !!!).

Cheers, Chris

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi Chris

Very unlikely to succeed from what I understand.

This is a quote from Dr Roy Caldwell, who is an expert on Mantis Shrimps :

It has only been done a few times with gonodactylids and with great difficulty. The larvae spend a month in the plankton and are very cannibalistic, so you have to separate them. Food needs to be varied and initially small such as rotifers and copepods, As they get larger, you can move to small artemia, mysids, etc. The only times I've done it I added an additive such as Selco to the food and changed the water daily. It is a lot of work for very little return. Our last attempt yielded 2 postlarvae out of 100 larvae that we started with. Other species with longer larval stages are even more difficult.

As for breeding, that depends on the species and the mating system they have.

Roy
Good luck.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
many thanks for the advice. I have raised pepermint shrimp and several species of marine fish. Always keen for a chalange, and always have larval foods (live micro-algae and rotifers on hand).
Cheers, Chris.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, once had a batch of pepermints that were planktonic for 3 months!!!! Most survived and metamorphosed. No Idea why this happened.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
well, breeding plans for Mantis shrimp have now gone out the window. Came home today to find that the male smashed open the female, which was lying motionless on the tank floor. The little sod (male) was looking so pround of himself, having userpped her hole in the live rock. What ever happended to the saying "MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR"! Obviously this individual did not grow up in the 70's!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Ok, I have now aquired three different species of mantis shrimp (i.e. Gonodactylaceus graphius, Gonodactylaceus falcatus and Gonodactylaceus smithii), just have to find the opposite sex for each of these and then I will be in the running once more.

IF YOU HAVE A MANTIS SHRIMP IN YOUR TANK THE YOU DONT WANT, PLEASE DO NOT KILL IT. I would love to give it a home in a species tank, and will more than compensate you for the specimen. It may be a potential parterner for one of the the species that I aready have.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Ok, after the innitial setback, I have the original shrimp in with a newcommer. They have been partitioned off from each other for several weeks. Noticed the smaller of the 2 banging at the partition for over an hour. I decided to remove the partition and it went straight into the hole of the other mantis shrimp. Fearing the worst, I could not bear to look. I decided to brave it and lo-and-behold, the 2 were mating. The 2 are now living together in the same hole, sharing the dsaime food and staying in close physical contact. Strange behaviour in-deed.

Nephrurus

Aug 21, 2011
So what happens now? Do you strip the adult of her eggs or wait for them to hatch in the tank?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
will leave the female to incubate the eggs. This pair has mated several times now and with every encounter, it is relatively peaceful. Trying to pair up a second species Gonodactylus smithii. Have the sexed individuals, just have to grow them up a little.