Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Kids #@!#@!#
I received a phone call from Vicki this afternoon...

My darling 5yo daughter decided she would play with one of the magnets left next to the DT from an old JVP pump. She decided she would put it on the magnet holding up my Tunze pump. As expected it stuck to this magnet.

At this stage, no damage done but could she leave it like this nooooooooooooooo!!

She thought she had better fix the problem by seperating the magnets - unfortunately, these two magnets did not seperate but she did manage to pull them both from the tank. For anyone that has a Tunze pump, they know how strong the magnets are on these things.

Now, this is bad - the pump was now dangling inside the tank on about 55cm of cable. In my tank, that means that it was just about at sand level and was doing a good job of blowing sand everywhere. Luckily I have my pumps alternating every 2 minutes so at least it was not on all the time.

The bad thing is that all the sand was blown into the rocks where my firefish had its home - I think I have been able to remove most of the sand that was blocking the holes but I don't know how much has actually been pushed down under the rocks. I have not sighted the firefish since I have been home :(

Hopefully, he will come out soon....

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
damn mate! I know this feeling, my 2 yo daughter did the same thing!

luckily the pump didn't have much cable to pull down with. prob was she lost the magnet and now the pump is being held up by an old magnet cleaner! that was around 3 months ago, still havent found it!

she can be a bugger of a kid but its hard when they are really cute and the way she says sorry dad, I just cant stay mad at her!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
hoping my stand being extra tall might give me and extra time before I have to worry about these things :p

but I still have at least a little while before even worrying about a walking about, 10 days till due date looks like she could pop any moment now ekkkkkkkk :eek

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
excellent news Shane!

anytime now Josh! I take it this is your first? good luck mate, Im sure all will go well, it is something you will never forget. try not to get to close that ya misses can grab ya closer to the end when the pushing gets going, your neck will never be the same, mine still cracks after nearly 3 years! with our youngest (4 months old) I was clever and made sure it was just my hand she was able to smash.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
should we warn him bout the "other" side of things? or let him find out for himself ... ?

imagesCAWTDOZP.jpg

hahaha, nah you will be right mate. it will come to you without you even knowing it ;)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
thats a new one forebird! my wife had never bit me lol. she did crush my hand but had short nails but that is a good tip!

and no, I dont think I would be to keen to go through child birth. being on the medications I am I know what passing "things" can be like, I couldnt imagine a 10cm + head coming out of there!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
a little to much info jashay

I didn't get to experience that with my kids... both were delivered by c-section due to compications namely pre-clampsia (sp?) which can cause foetal distress and pre-term labour not to mention kidney and liver failure in the mother! Then with the second they diagnosed inter-uterine growth retardation... That was a little scary when they radiologist told us point blank that our child was "retarded" at 35wks and would neeed to be delivered ASAP! When we got to the hospital the nurses were shocked that he told us what he did and put our minds at rest, it just means a small baby that is not growing at a sufficient rate and needs to be delivered early!

So we didn't have the pain and the yelling and screaming with broken hands and fingers bitten off but we did have a total of about 12 - 13 wks in hospital with both of the kids!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
mate you went through a lot! (and I gave to much info?? :confused: ;))

glad to see that the kids were all fine though! its very sad when kids are born with problems, being a parent you just want to take whatever issue your kid has so they dont have to go through it.

even though it was a long time in hospital it was worth it right mate ;)

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
My 3 year old decide to feed his fish chips! All salvaged OK, but he doesn't know how lucky he is that he didn't do it to my tank!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Isn't it interesting how the topics develop on The Reefuge :)

We start with almost ruining my tank, touch on child birth (probably too close for some), get some words of wisdom from Matt, and finish up back with kids almost ruining fish tanks :p