Tank Journal Archive

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Cutting gear is just the hole saws i bought at the hardware shop, unsure of brand.. but they just look like your everyday diamond tip hole saw..
They are holding up very well I haven't had any issues with them.. I just cut templates to use for guides..
I'll probably end up going for the super squirt (I like the idea of SWCD but i have seen a couple of people have problems with then, also unable to hard plumb them)
http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/...59958&osCsid=9456394f34257533940f8b6a9be59958
Back flow I will just be using 1 way valves

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Back flow I will just be using 1 way valves
I would be doing some research on these if I was you - one way valves have a habit of not working long term in a marine evironment as there are any number of things that might end up growing in the valve that could affect its performance.

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Will do.. i have never had one fail but..
Might do an airbleed/air break that will bleed into the sump if it doesn't close on start up..

V

'vspec'

Man Down -Post 13!! Linkage failure bud.

To get around most issues, I would suggest the following for your closed loop
Pickups - sucking from the bottom 2 backwall placements.
Outputs - 2 on the bottom, 2 on your mid section backwall placement.

You dont need a switching current, as the OM model drum options do it for you..

Our Super Squirt comes with a threaded 1" inlet and four 1" sched 40 outlets to allow you to attach either 90° or 45° couplings, threaded connectors or unions.

The Super Squirt can operate with pumps up to 2500gph which is more than double the capacity of our OM Squirt.

Three Drum options are available giving different flow characteristics.

Version 1: has outlets running sequentially, (ie) 1, 2, 3 , 4, repeated.

Version 2: will give a delayed sequence (ie) 1 & 2, 2 & 3, 3 & 4, 4 & 1, repeated.

Version 3: has them opposed (ie) 1 & 3, 4 & 2, repeated.

The Super Squirt comes Prewired with a 6' grounded cord & 3 prong plug. Extra drums are available for purchase.

Super Squirts are not available with a 230v motor
Step down is needed for your supply and plumbing extra's will be a given. Not to mention you need to factor in cleaning and maintenance, so valves are inclusive on your shopping trip. Which you already know I say!
DT holds 830lt with change, making loop turn over 11.5x's based on the above.
This takes some load sharing off the RP, however I would still have my returns in the top corners and just factor in the volume that gravity will drop.

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Thanks, I doubled up on Photobucket and deleted the wrong one..
I have a few ideas to overcome the back flow problem.. just have to nut out which way I want to go..
Sorry I meant i liked the idea of using SWCD instead of the OM, as it does not require a power supply or a step down transformer.. but it doesn't suit my needs..
Yeah i'm going to be buying a lot of valves and unions.. :) but i will plan out my lay out and buy them online to save a bit of money i think..
That is a lot of water to factor into the sump.. about 150L

V

'vspec'

I have a few ideas to overcome the back flow problem.. just have to nut out which way I want to go..
Look forward to it!

That is a lot of water to factor into the sump.. about 150L
435lt @4*2*2
means just over 1/3 of the sump is coming down. lol As above ^