Tank Journal Archive

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Josh and Styna's 6 x 2.5 x 2
OK, thought i would post my TJ here aswell.. Make Matt happy..

Introduction:
My wife and I have had salt water tanks since we started going out 7.5 years ago, But we have only just got serious about it in the last 12 mths.. learned a lot over the last year and we decided it is time to upgrade for our skinny little 4' and 1' cube to something larger. When I went to Brisbane for my Capstone the first thing i did when i got down there was go and see Denison at Mary ann's. Had a discussion with him about a few tanks and asked if it would be possible to get a weir and 3 holes put in it by Friday morning (being late Wednesday arve.) so long story short Denison did a great job, got the tank done by Friday morning so I could get away early..

This project will probably take a while to get going as we have a far bit on over the next few months, so hopefully i'll be able to get the stand made and plumb it up so i can start it cycling in the not to distant future..

System Objectives: To create a natural looking part of the ocean in our living room

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: TBA

Display Tank: 6 x 2.5 x 2 built by Denison at Mary Ann's

Display Lighting: Inwatter Stingray's

Stand: all steel structure painted outside will be wooden panels painted Ash suede to match the wall it will be going against...

Sump: 4x18x18?? maybe 4x2x2

Sump Lighting: T5's 10pm-4am maybe DIY LED

Support systems: None

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Not sure on pump sizes yet for Closed loop, but will have a couple of vortech's in there..

Return Pump: ??
Skimmer: Reef Octopus?? still to purchase
Evaporation Top Up: 4 Stage RO/DI?? still to purchase

Calcium Addition: Randy's recipe

Alkilinity Addition: Randy's recipe

Other Chemical Maintenance: Randy's recipe

Current Water Chemistry: N/A at this stage
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Getting home with it..
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_05431.jpg

In the garage ready for me to attack it.. (don't mind the mess.. i have been lazy..)
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_05501.jpg

Drilled some holes, just waiting for the wifes brother to come around so we can put it on it's back and i can keep drilling holes in it..
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0559.jpg

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld

All holes drilled.
Just roughed up the beananimal and the bottom entries..
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0572.jpg

ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0573.jpg

Starting on the stand next weekend..
Axe s
Centurion Reefer
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_ranks_masq_member_2012.gif

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Made the Stand yesterday,
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0576.jpg

Painted it today..
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0577.jpg

I have the week after next off work, so hopefully I can move the computer desk out and start the assembly..

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Painted the wall that the fish tank will be against on the week end..

Before
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0579.jpg

After
ai1100.photobucket.com_albums_g405_Axe_s_IMG_0580.jpg

It's an ash suede, the cabinet will be painted the same..

Still working on it.. hopefully tile the floor tomorrow..

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Looking good. Sounds like a pretty serious build if it entails tiling floors and painting walls!

Good luck with the assembly

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Yeah, hopefully it'll turn out how it looks in my head.. time will see lol..
I want to run a new circuit for it aswell, so it is off the lighting and power circuit.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
looks interesting mate!, wish i made a steel stand for mine, looks so neat with cladding over it

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Getting there :D

What are your plans for your weir plumbing? You seem to have two durso's at the same height and a syphon higher - not sure I understand how this is planned to work.

V

'vspec'

Great start indeed.

Questions.
The recess notch on the metal rail, now the base?
How did painting on the grass go with your finish? lol
2 placements on the tank back wall, 2 on the base. Will these be the closed loop? If so, where is the primary pickup, and are you planning to use switching current?
If not, what will you use as a check system?

Depending on your metal flex, you could have gotten away with a decent open sump section for the front.
Last custom metal I did gave a very minimal drop over a 5.5ft span. On an 8ft stand, thats a decent stretch of free space.
I also used quality marine ply under the tank as well.
Culmination of the little things IMO :)

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
Great start indeed.

Questions.
The recess notch on the metal rail, now the base?
How did painting on the grass go with your finish? lol
2 placements on the tank back wall, 2 on the base. Will these be the closed loop? If so, where is the primary pickup, and are you planning to use switching current?
If not, what will you use as a check system?

Depending on your metal flex, you could have gotten away with a decent open sump section for the front.
Last custom metal I did gave a very minimal drop over a 5.5ft span. On an 8ft stand, thats a decent stretch of free space.
I also used quality marine ply under the tank as well.
Culmination of the little things IMO :)
The recess is for the full siphon, it is only 35mm from the back of the tank.
I'm surprisingly good at painting on grass lol.. I didn't want to get over spray all through the garage..
3 placements on each side of the back wall, 2 on the base.. not a good photo to demonstrate it.. and yes closed loop,
pick up's will be top corners, outlet's will be other 2 top ones and 2 on the base, sump return will be the lower 2 on the back wall..
I was going to use ocean motion but have heard there 230v motors have been failing.. might just run a 110v transformer and still go Ocean motions, not sure..

I did think of having the front open, but i didn't want to risk it..

V

'vspec'

Yeah valid point, I overlooked your staggered position, Just assumed you had the inside clearance

11 hole placements and counting, nice. Not your first bbq it seems.

It always makes me laugh when I catch it, I think 'multiball' on pinball when i'm drilling holes.
Speaking of which, what cutting gear are you running, you go HK or splash out for something more exotic?
How are the bits holding up?

Getting back to your OM choice, Squirt something? What have you settled on regardless the power issue.
Which if you have a link handy, I wouldn't mind reading bud.

sump return will be the lower 2 on the back wall..
What are you using to stop backflow? Or does the chosen RP seal

Nice, shaping up to be a sweet thread.