Reef Discussion

NSW Alk.. now im really starting to think my test kit is FUBAR.. .05 ml used to reach starting point.. .20ml used to achieve colour change.. this appears to be worse than the tank water??!!! 0.2ml would result in 2.92dKH!!!

NSW is comming from SECA marine on warrigal road oakleigh..

Cant test mag.. sorry.. tipped all the leftover i had to use my containers to get new stuff from different more trusted place.. went down there and proved that i am testing correctly and my results are true..

Ive started dosing.. ive got a LONG way to go.. but i rekon im on the right track. i hope im on the right track..

Will call seca later today to see if they test their water.. and if i believe the numbers they give me ill let you all know..

bloke coming to pick up my old tank soon.. so will be back in action later.

Orright.. now im ripping my hair out.. had Seca test their NSW that i use in the tank (that gave me a result of less than 3 dkh with my red sea pro test kit)
they used an API test kit this morning.. (very happy to do so) and came out with a 8-9dKH reading.. i splashed out on the $15 api test kit (vs the 60 odd dollar red sea pro kit) and got the same 8-9dKH result at home in the tank.. so now im beginning to think that my red sea test kit is no good.. and cant trust the red sea magnesium kit now either..

so im going to get an API magnesium test kit after xmas and just use those.. ive come to the decision that if the numbers from Red sea kits were true.. my fish would be unhappy.. and ALL corals would be grumpy.. as it stands.. i moved my gonnie last night and he is already happier.. my torch is still grumpy but could be recovering from light burn.. i rekon ive lost duncan.. calling that light burn as he was the highest coral in the tank.. but everything else is happy.. so as my TJ states.. im not going to chase numbers.. im going to look at my tank.

Merry Xmas all.. i hope you all have a safe and enjoyable xmas tomorrow and santa brings only the best and most wanted tank equipment.

Regards.
James.

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Thats strange. I got RSP test kits (Ca, Mg and KH). When my reading sometimes is slightly below or above the range I will do more test to find out if there is an error during the test. I also use the tank water to raise the test tube before I do any testing...