Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
How Often Do You Feed Your Corals/anemones? And What?
Me: some of my corals take food, others don't, Normally it is once weekly... but sometimes I forgot.

It is usually brine shrimp that is syringed in their vicinity.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I feed my Duncan, Tracky and Ricordia frozen brine shrimp about twice or three times a week.

I found with some mushrooms that they can be temperamental about eating. Also, some that I was never able to feed would all of a sudden start to feed. If the mushroom or Ricordia is "sticky", i.e. food sticks to eat, then it is ready to eat (so you have to stop the current and guar it while it slowly eats).

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I don't target feed anymore too time consuming & messy. Do I water Column feed roids twice a week & amino's twice a week. I am dropping to once a week as of now because yippee I have some nitrates in my tank. So they can stop costing me a fortune in food. I am so excited !!!!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If you're having an issue with them accepting a particular food it's more than likely a size issue. Smaller is better when feeding corals and anemones. My ritteris have NEVER looked better since I switched to feeding them smaller silversides, mysis and brine shrimp. I swear they're turning more green since I started feeding them spirulina gut loaded brine. Ricordea need very fine foods, not larger than .25mm-.5mm.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Oh wow. I never new that Rics needed feeding?!

Would lobster eggs be okay? Or perhaps brine?

Should I turn the power head off while I feed them?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I always shut down pumps when I feed. Newly hatched brine shrimp would be the right size for Ricordea or any other morph.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I don't think Rics actually need to fed. I think they get enough food from fish poo etc and from photosynthesis. However, I have always fed any that I have that will accept food. But, they eat very slowly.

Mine get frozen brine shrimp and they do eat large ones, but it takes a while for them to suck the shrimp in slowly.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I always shut down pumps when I feed. Newly hatched brine shrimp would be the right size for Ricordea or any other morph.

I shut down my return pump but leave my mp10's on full blast to move snow/food/reef roids around

20mins tops then back on to clear out any excess.

I feed randomly, food doesn't come around in nature at set times, so some weeks I feed a lot and others hardly anything and always at different times.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I target feed brine shrimp daily, and marine snow about every 5 days and reef plus and reef trace twice a week

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I feed the fish frozen foods once a day or every other day which I spread through the entire tank and turn the pumps off, so the corals and anemones grab what they can from that. I've also recently been feeding live black worms and some of the corals and the BTAs go bananas for them so I deliberately drop them in over the top of them.

I feed the rics pellets at times.