Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
My max has been $100 simply because what I have really wanted have not costed more than $100.
My Yellow Tang was $100 and I can't think of any fish that would better it.
Oh, actually, forgot my now deceased Tiger Blenny was $130 I think, but that was an extraordinary buy for me. I'm no longer willing to spend more than $100 unless I know in my hands the fish is going to be virtually bullet proof.
I'm not confident I have the time (and in some cases experience) to keep some of the more expensive fish. I feel the same about corals.
One other thing, I'm pretty selective about my fish. Even if a particular species only costs $25, I'd be looking for really good specimens over several shops before I'd buy one. My Coral Beauty is spectacular and I looked at many before I chose the one I have. So, I'd happily pay ten times the standard price for a common fish if it is a really good one.
I like your thinking and I agree :) Buying the best specimen is always going to pay the best dividends in the long run!

Well I have to say, I think we have got our prized fish and would be the most we would spend on fish. Diffidently wouldn't drop more the $600 on a fish.
A pair of bellbenus anthia $700
Chevron tang $400
ROSE band wrasse $380
Like lesly, Achilles will be the ultimate for us, but we are waiting for a juvi from our LFS. Which that bloke can make things happen.
Now that's a nice list! lol Achilles seem to be one of those show fish that is just super popular and I have no doubt that man will have you an absolute stunner of a juvi :D

WOW! I love him

I reckon I would talk myself into doing a one off buy of about $500 for a fish.
It can be justified if it's the "show" fish of the tank :D
Saying that I'd be much more likely to spend that much if I knew they wouldn't touch coral. Is that a big risk with the C. Tinkeri?
You and me both lol that's why scary amounts of money come into it haha
I think having a show fish or three is always a good idea :rofl lol but c. tinkeri are pretty good from all the accounts I have read on them and I'd be aiming for a juvi specimen too to help ensure that it was coral friendly lol but at the end of the day I think I could look past a couple of misdemeanors for a fish like that!

Not sure how much I'd be prepared to spend on a single fish. I'd probably spend $300 on a nice clam. I think once my livestock is worth more than the aquarium setup it'll be a good excuse to upgrade!
I'd spend that and a little bit more on a nice clam, I may have already :rolleyes lol I definitely think they're one of those creatures I'd have no trouble holding back on :) I like that line of thinking though, I think having more space for more expensive fish is always a good idea :P

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Forgot about this: I probably would pay $300 for a rose tip BTA. Obviously I won't be getting one soon. But, that's my highest bid for anything aquatic and living.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Forgot about this: I probably would pay $300 for a rose tip BTA. Obviously I won't be getting one soon. But, that's my highest bid for anything aquatic and living.
That's fair enough :) I wouldn't drop a dime on a nem lol not unless I had 6+ feet of tank and it was a carpet haha

I can't hold it in any longer Dom, the question really is - how much would you spend on a return pump :rofl:rofl:rofl
Probably about 10% of what you have :P hahaha

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
That thought came to mind this morning.
We spend so much on equipment for a fish tank ,surely the fish value should trump the value of the big ticket items.
That point of view easily justifies a good spend up on a cool fish.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
That thought came to mind this morning.
We spend so much on equipment for a fish tank ,surely the fish value should trump the value of the big ticket items.
That point of view easily justifies a good spend up on a cool fish.
I'm with you, why have thousands of dollars in equipment if you aren't going to go big on livestock haha. I understand the hesitation about losing such an expensive fish but people are also out there paying thousands for pure breed dogs, cats and birds lol and they can be just as expensive in the long run!
The price of fish has never bothered me, didn't even bat an eyelid when the Clarion Angel was at Deer Park, it's my squeaky arsehole I have to content with :rofl :p :rolleyes

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I'm with you, why have thousands of dollars in equipment if you aren't going to go big on livestock haha. I understand the hesitation about losing such an expensive fish but people are also out there paying thousands for pure breed dogs, cats and birds lol and they can be just as expensive in the long run!
The price of fish has never bothered me, didn't even bat an eyelid when the Clarion Angel was at Deer Park, it's my squeaky arsehole I have to content with :rofl :p :rolleyes
Just remember how understanding your girlfriend is with you and your tanks needs, the same goes for when she comes home with a new wardrobe of clothes from a sphincter tightening shopping spree that makes your fish tank spending look tame. You just going to have to nod and smile.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Just remember how understanding your girlfriend is with you and your tanks needs, the same goes for when she comes home with a new wardrobe of clothes from a sphincter tightening shopping spree that makes your fish tank spending look tame. You just going to have to nod and smile.
hahahaha It's not the clothes I have to worry about, it's the books! You'll see what I mean when you're down :rofl :p We both have mutual understandings as our addictions are on similar levels so as long as things are doubled checked before they're bought then it's all good haha I'm pretty lucky :P

I think it's lucky that LiveAquaria don't ship to Australia.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733 3&ddid=309206
You and me both buddy! These guys are no. 1 on my list but I'll never get one unless I move Stateside or to Singapore/Hong Kong lol

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
how did you find the Tinkers?
Will depend on how healthy it is when it comes in, but very easy to feed and needs lots of food, extremely intelligent and personable. He will nip, how much depends on food availability, tank mates and corals. You're into SPS so I wouldn't worry. ( But don't believe the hype about it being a deepwater fish so it won't eat coral).

My max has been $100 simply because what I have really wanted have not costed more than $100.

I'm no longer willing to spend more than $100 unless I know in my hands the fish is going to be virtually bullet proof.
Those are good points. These discussions are entertaining because everyone assumes they won't lose the fish and it's exciting to fantasise about keeping a species you're infatuated with. It's good to ask yourself

How much can I afford to lose if it dies?:eek
How likely is this with the fish I have in mind?:rolleyes

This might save heartache in the future.

Just food for thought....

Angie

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I think it's lucky that LiveAquaria don't ship to Australia.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733 3&ddid=309206

View attachment 54054

Edited to include the picture - MagicJ
One of my faves that I'll never have!

Thinking about it my biggest hurdle to spending big money on a fish, other than the main ones of will it live and is it healthy is the fact I have too many intrests and the money gets spread thin between them.
Last week I didn't hesitate to buy nolathane bushes and sway bar link kits for $500 on a car but this morning I was contemplating wether I would spend that on a fish.
Gotta get my priorities straight! :rofl:p

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Will depend on how healthy it is when it comes in, but very easy to feed and needs lots of food, extremely intelligent and personable. He will nip, how much depends on food availability, tank mates and corals. You're into SPS so I wouldn't worry. ( But don't believe the hype about it being a deepwater fish so it won't eat coral).
As with any fish but I'm glad to hear they are really personable fish and I do love a smart fish too :) haha I think I would be naive going with a butterfly not expecting some nipping, I may buy the odd cheap small lps for a more enticing meal if sps polyps are taking a hit a little too hard. Buying a fish like this would have me planning out plenty of contingencies and working out what is always going to be the best for the fish :) All the fish I buy get very well researched as I need to pick the ones I like most as I like way too many of them lol

Those are good points. These discussions are entertaining because everyone assumes they won't lose the fish and it's exciting to fantasise about keeping a species you're infatuated with. It's good to ask yourself
How much can I afford to lose if it dies?:eek
How likely is this with the fish I have in mind?:rolleyes
This might save heartache in the future.
Just food for thought....

Angie
And these are great questions that need to be asked! :) Can I handle what the fish needs and will I be able to cope with the loss of money if it does go arse-up. Forward thought and planning always saves a lot of heartache and the same amount of thought and planning that goes into a $500 fish should also go into a $20 fish because they're all equal :) Although you should put a little more effort into rare species as well, they're rare and taking something that is already uncommon and hard to catch to then be ill-equipped for it is really irresponsible :)

Great post though :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I just wouldn't trust expensive livestock in a tank that uses cheap equipment.... Just saying (because I don't say it often enough.... LOL)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I just wouldn't trust expensive livestock in a tank that uses cheap equipment.... Just saying (because I don't say it often enough.... LOL)
You won't hear any argument from me ;) lol but all things can fail so I think it less about the cost of the pump and more about whether you have a backup prepared or not lol. I'd invest in a temp controller before spending $1k on a pump though :P lol heaters are way too temperamental

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You won't hear any argument from me ;) lol but all things can fail so I think it less about the cost of the pump and more about whether you have a backup prepared or not lol. I'd invest in a temp controller before spending $1k on a pump though :p lol heaters are way too temperamental
Too true, all can and will fail. Too much relies on return pump to ignore though!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just because I like you Dom and I know you love pointless graphs, I spent a good part of my evening making these hand drawn graphs with no scientific evidence to justify my high horse position.

Graph one maps the chance of failure against the cost of the pump:
image.jpeg

Graph two maps the acceptance rate of pump failure against value of livestock (does not take into account sentimental value, but you can substitute that for monetary value if it helps..)
image.jpeg

Graph three overlays the two to find a value of livestock and a pump value where you need to turf jebao shit.
image.jpeg

Conclusion. If your livestock is worth more than $800, you'll want a return pump worth more than $300.

This study brought to you by the fine folk at unisuper.com.au