Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Just because I like you Dom and I know you love pointless graphs, I spent a good part of my evening making these hand drawn graphs with no scientific evidence to justify my high horse position.

Graph one maps the chance of failure against the cost of the pump:
View attachment 54059

Graph two maps the acceptance rate of pump failure against value of livestock (does not take into account sentimental value, but you can substitute that for monetary value if it helps..)
View attachment 54060

Graph three overlays the two to find a value of livestock and a pump value where you need to turf jebao shit.
View attachment 54061

Conclusion. If your livestock is worth more than $800, you'll want a return pump worth more than $300.

This study brought to you by the fine folk at unisuper.com.au
This is the best reply I've seen in a long time Hahaha I love it!! :D
Your science is solid and even though you already had me convinced lol hopefully a few more will understand :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Sam Parker can you run this hypothesis past Bruce tomorrow just to get some confirmation :D

If your numbers are correct, and I have no reason to doubt your professional looking graphs, then I now understand why I only have a tank full of humbugs :p

a1.bp.blogspot.com__PLfXmjxvA5I_Tr3OuUwfR3I_AAAAAAAAYlg_WIjOOWB8plk_s400_humbug.jpg

E

ezza

$120 bucks is my top. Above that and the fish starts looking "ugly" to me :p
I think I'm in the same boat. I can't really cope with the idea of spending more than $100-something on a fish. It's like shopping for groceries, if I can get the week's groceries for $150-$180 then we still have a few $ for a special treat... With the aquarium, I get $150 for spending on pets each month. If I spend more, that's money we use for living and takes away from something else. I did buy 2 shrimp guys recently for about $150 who are helping keep the ecosystem in balance. It was a pretty big purchase for me, but a good one.

Oh... And if my tank was big enough, I would buy a shark. So then I would be willing to spend whatever it costs to buy a bamboo shark. I would cuddle and kiss it on the couch too and we would be best friends. :D

Last edited by a moderator: