New To Reefing

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
How High Is Too High ;)
hey guys,
I just got my light stand off eBay and my 6 bulb powermoduel doesn't connect too there hanging system! So I decided to hang it up anyway. Is 90cm from the water too high....
also I chipped the coner of my tank. What should I do? Panic?

Attachments

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I think 90cm is too High. We run the ATI module & they recommend 24-28cm above the water.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Knew it would be, I'll have to have a think about how I can solve the problem, should I be concerned about the chip in the glass?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Knew it would be, I'll have to have a think about how I can solve the problem, should I be concerned about the chip in the glass?
I am on iPhone so not a great pic but I personally would be a little concerned as it looks close to the silicone corner. @CodyS should be able to help you with this one.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
That's pretty high. Can you cut it down at all? Or make a new hanging frame from that square aluminium tubing from Bunnings - that stuff is really easy to work with and has a clean finish.
With that light spread you're going to get algae on your walls and your bed (sorry, just kidding)

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
I am on iPhone so not a great pic but I personally would be a little concerned as it looks close to the silicone corner. @CodyS should be able to help you with this one.
Does the crack 'end', as in curve around and finish or is it a seam that stops?

Might be alright might not, it is hard to tell in a pic.

As far as effecting silicone, doesn't matter. The concern is the chip might turn into a crack in time, but when it goes it goes instantly.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Does the crack 'end', as in curve around and finish or is it a seam that stops?

Might be alright might not, it is hard to tell in a pic.

As far as effecting silicone, doesn't matter. The concern is the chip might turn into a crack in time, but when it goes it goes instantly.
Hope this pic helps

Attachments

E

ezza

Are the verticals just dropped into a bracket thing? Hacksaw!

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Hope this pic helps
To me it looks like it will probably be ok. However it is possible for cracks to propetuate from the already effected area.

How old is the tank? How opposed would you be to replacing a panel or replacing the tank?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
To me it looks like it will probably be ok. However it is possible for cracks to propetuate from the already effected area.

How old is the tank? How opposed would you be to replacing a panel or replacing the tank?
I was thinking the same thing. Look closely and make sure there aren't any cracks coming outward from that. Like Cody said, when it goes, it'll be a split second and it's all over but the crying mate.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I took out a scallop of glass by accident on my new rig, got some fine grit sandpaper and went over the scallop buffing out any fine cracks this rounded the edges around the dint too.
Saves cut blood fingers and a sanity check for thoughts of future water disaster. Called Cody for a visual inspection , he said it was ok.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Haha yeah the rig is huge for the lights gives it s industrial look, theres no actual glass missing from the chip I know what you mean about it cracking but to me doesn't look like that it could crack n travel. I brought cured live rock and it's been two weeks and my nitrates and phosphate levels are in decline already. Should I start ordering my fish list?