Reef Discussion

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
How Can I Help My Blue Tang
Hi all, my blue tang seems to have little white things all over him for about the last week. I'm asuming that it is Ich? He scrapes him self against the rock. Is there anything I can do for him without taking it out of the tank?
Thanks

Attachments

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Lots of good quality food. High quality and very stable water parameters. And no stress with other fish. He can recover on his own but the ich parasite will remain in your tank. It will raise its ugly head again whenever you have a stressed or weakened fish.
We had an outbreak of it about 12 months ago, infected more than half the tank. Kept the strict regime mentioned above and all the fish recovered. We have not had a recurrence since. But we keep a very stress free tank. Any signs of aggression and the aggressor is gone.
Or you can chose to QT him and leave your tank empty for 10-12 weeks. There is a chance he wont recover, and it will go to other fish in your tank. Up to you to make the decision on which way to go.
We decided to go the above route because I had a lot of faith in my system and positive I could keep parameters in near perfect state.

E

ezza

my foxface had it a couple of weeks ago. i just kept the fish calm with a nice gentle water change and good food at regular intervals. decreasing stress is beneficial. i added melafix to my tank, i just add it if fish don't look healthy. i don't think it's necessarily going to kill the whitespot. they disappeared within 3 days and the fish has been happy and no other fish have contracted it or shown signs of infection. most treatments to kill the Ich tend to require quarantine and cleaning out the tank. Make sure your tank parameters are spot on (scuse the pun) and just aim for stress relief and good husbandry.

Melafix is available from petshops and fish shops. I buy it at Pet Barn generally.

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks Lesley I don't have a QT so I'll do as you sugest. And thank you also ezza I'll get some Melafix tomorow:)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I would be careful about melafix in a reef tank. Had a friend that used it and skimmer when nuts for weeks. Even after large water changes and running some carbon. Some of his corals also closed up for some time. Although it didn't kill anything I would do some research first. I am glad it worked for you Ezza and I am not saying your wrong but maybe it depends on your set up as to how it will react. Just saying to be careful and make an informed decision. My mate regretted it from day one. Fine for QT tank but DT I just don't know ?

E

ezza

I wonder how much he used?! I just add a cap full and I have never had an issue. It's a fairly harmless product.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I wonder how much he used?! I just add a cap full and I have never had an issue. It's a fairly harmless product.
Probably just as well. But wouldn't have been responsible for the ich disappearing I assure you. Even api say it's not for parasitic treatment. Lol.

Hi,
I had a large outbreak of Ich a couple of months ago, and because of the size of the tank (500l) and the scape, it was more or less impossible to get all the fish out for copper treatment.
I used a good feeding regime like Les above, and made sure that I also fed a lot of garlic soaked nori, and also added garlic drops to my frozen food. The best part was that I also dosed hydrogen Peroxide twice daily (the daily dose dived by 2) for 6 weeks. It was a tough treatment for the corals that looked dreadful, but all the fish (bar 1) pulled through and are now "free" of Ich. All the corals (SPS, LPS) all perked up within 2 weeks after I stopped dosing peroxide, and actually looked better than ever.

E

ezza

Probably just as well. But wouldn't have been responsible for the ich disappearing I assure you. Even api say it's not for parasitic treatment. Lol.
And I think I mentioned in my post that it doesn't cure ich. But I find it is extremely good in aiding the fish's holistic well being when they're in a weakened state. I've used the stuff for 10 years on 3 aquatic environments and a heck of a lot of fish. Never had an issue with it and it has absolutely prevented fish losses.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hi,
I had a large outbreak of Ich a couple of months ago, and because of the size of the tank (500l) and the scape, it was more or less impossible to get all the fish out for copper treatment.
I used a good feeding regime like Les above, and made sure that I also fed a lot of garlic soaked nori, and also added garlic drops to my frozen food. The best part was that I also dosed hydrogen Peroxide twice daily (the daily dose dived by 2) for 6 weeks. It was a tough treatment for the corals that looked dreadful, but all the fish (bar 1) pulled through and are now "free" of Ich. All the corals (SPS, LPS) all perked up within 2 weeks after I stopped dosing peroxide, and actually looked better than ever.
Thanks for that info, I don't know about the Hydrogen Peroxide ? just the name concerns me a lot...lol
I have heard of it before but it sounds so scary.....I honestly think that we as reef keepers over react to ich - I know for a fact I did. And you do hear horrible stories of whole tanks being wiped out but you also hear of stories like you and I who managed to treat it successfully without lining the pockets of the retailers who love our over reaction...lol

E

ezza

There's a thread on MASA about peroxide, it doesn't recommend putting it in the display.

Melafix is cajeput oil which is a type of melaleuca. It's been around for ages and is well trusted in freshwater fish keeping. It's even used to treat humans externally and internally.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I am not disagreeing with your thoughts. And I believe if it works for you then do it. Each to their own. What works for some may not work for others. I am newbie as far as fish go I have only kept fish. ( freshwater 2 yrs reef 1 year) and have never had to medicate either. I would be very concerned about my abilities or my supplier or my system if I seemed to constantly have stressed or weakened fish that required treatment on a regular basis. But that said it appears I don't have your 10 yrs experience and probably don't know what the hell I am talking about any way.... Lol

E

ezza

Sorry Leslie, I just had a gigantic needle shoved in my spine and I am tired and in pain. All I am saying is it's a popular and accepted medication/remedy. It's worth trying, don't be scared of it.

All I can recommend to anyone is to research via legitimate sites and books, plus discussion with professionals. Then weed out the less legitimate advice, people who don't follow instructions, don't think and don't rationally assess risks are not necessarily the ones whose advice is to be followed. Lol. Kthnxbai

Forgot what decade I'm in.. 20 years :p

Last edited by a moderator: