Off-Topic

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
"hot Enough For Ya?????"
How's everyone going with the heat? Been watching my two tanks, house and outside temperature nervously today...

FYI - outside temp is spot on, but is in the shade, both tank temps are actually 1 degree lower than that and the house temp is actually 2 degrees lower than that. You can see when I switched the aircon on at 2pm, thankfully it has steadied the rise!
temp.jpg

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
We've had air con cranking since 8am this morning to protect against the hit of heat rather than turn it on when things get too hot. House is lovely and cool, garage is about 32 atm

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
We've had air con cranking since 8am this morning to protect against the hit of heat rather than turn it on when things get too hot. House is lovely and cool, garage is about 32 atm
I have done this too. The tank has only crept up to 26.5 yesterday and right now its 26.7 without a chiller. If it gets near 28 I might get a fan connected to my STC1000.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Tanks out in the garage not doing so well - the garage gets afternoon sun so heats up at least 10-15 degrees in the space of 30 minutes which is difficult for the air con to counteract. Will be rigging up a giant tent-like awning tonight and tomorrow morning to protect things a bit better. Tanks are staying below 27 with a fan on the surface :D

No chiller, if we can survive this summer and this week then we will look at them next year. If we sell any morphs that is!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Our house cooks and we only have the portable ac. Thankfully I got a chiller from the start as its come on 5 or 6 times today!

28 min temp tonight... Golf is going to be fun in the morning.

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Plodding along over here! Kids seem more phased than the tanks lol (Edit to add - their bedrooms are 28deg at the moment and they're both trying to sleep :( )
With the two air cons going in opposite rooms the tanks managed to keep under 27degrees till about 5pm. (Air cons were both set to 24deg)
Chillers are connected to two of the four tanks although they've not needed to come on, and the smallest of the four (in the garage *shudder*) has been getting a good dose of frozen bottles since this arvo lol
I think the next few days are going to be the killers though given the retained heat in our bricks/slabs and roofs.

I just feel for the elderly people who might skimp on air con use to save the dollars, and the animals who have no reprieve :( Let alone those in the fire regions :( My thoughts are with them :(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
My air con didn't do its job properly today at all so my place was sweltering when I got home. The tank was looking fine but now that lights are out, all of the corals have closed up and shrunk in size and I've got a few polyps on my Blasto with slightly gaping mouths. Really hope I don't lose anything.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Hope you don't lose any @Agent M I'd keep a fan running over the surface for the next 3-4 days.
Know what you mean @Fragalicious I've been hoarding plastic bottles for a few months for summer. Now they're all holding frozen water in them - and a hot tip, put some salt in with your water to freeze it down just a little cooler. We also have a generator ready to go if power goes, really hoping we don't need it!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hope you don't lose any @Agent M I'd keep a fan running over the surface for the next 3-4 days.
Will do - the tank is in the path of the air con anyway. All looking good again this morning except the anemones, they haven't extended back out to full size yet. Not too worried as the lights aren't on till later this arvo. I think I was very lucky yesterday with the crazy temp the room got to.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Hell yes you were. Our garage peaked at 34 with the 3 foot tanks getting to 27/28 before we were able to bring it back down to 26 with fans. Not looking forward to today as the bricks have now heated up so things are going to be more difficult.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Love this weather, work in a stinkin hot factory and dont mind it one bit.

My tank does just fine as my aircon (big split system) blows straight over the top of it, so I just set the air con to 28 when I'm at work on hot days like this. Not looking forward to the power bill however. Only really have to do that on days over 35 or so.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
We have 46 predicted for tomorrow, adelaide's hottest day on record is 46.1 I reckon we should top that easily since we have been over the predicted top by a degree or 2 every day this week.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
We have 46 predicted for tomorrow, adelaide's hottest day on record is 46.1 I reckon we should top that easily since we have been over the predicted top by a degree or 2 every day this week.
that's a little hot - walking outside yesterday was like putting your face into the oven door when it opens.

jimbo

Jul 31, 2013
Tank peaked at 27.6 yesterday..Cooling bumped up a little more today and left the cabinet doors open, see if that makes any difference!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
After a day of moving computers and reloading a truck up in the Wimmera @ 42C so I was outside half the day, and the other half in shut up buildings with air con off, I got home late last night to a closed up house @ 34C, a DT + holding tanks happily sitting at 26.5C, 27.5C frag system (portable air con in the room with them), and a really cranky cat. 2 1/2 hours sleep after 14 hours work, every muscle aching and that fucking truck still hasn't unloaded itself.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Tank is doing surprisingly well in the heat. I've got some recession on my unidentified LPS coral today :( Just gotta get through the rest of today and tomorrow. I got some help from an air con technician friend and there is nothing that can be done about my air con. 'Over 40 and everything starts to go boing' was his assessment. I have been misting the compressor trying to help it keep the temp down but its starting not to work so well now that the outside temp is so high. Looks like a chiller might have to be on my to do list for the sake of a few measly days a year. The air con has kept the room super cool in 42 degree weather in past years, guess this time around its just too hot.