News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Have your say!
Hello everyone,

As you all know by now, The Reefuge is setting up a new framework as the Xenforo framework is now dead. We are being forced to do things again on a framework that will remain developed for at least the next 10 years, so we are going to make sure that by the time it is ready for release, it will function exactly as the community requires it.

Please keep in mind, the framework and the forum software are two different things.

What we would like to know is what features you would all like to have once The Reefuge switches framework later this year. It can be something as simple as where links are placed, and something as complex as full trading systems. We will attend to as many of these as possible if we believe that the community will be better off with them. We do not want to make The Reefuge difficult to use due to the complexity of the forums and the framework.

We ask all users to give as much feedback as possible, and to discuss features as much as possible with both the staff and each other. The Reefuge has always been a community driven forum, with members voices being heard. Please help us make the best framework on the internet.

Thanks.

The List:

1) Live Updates
2) Home Tab
3) Postcode in user profiles
4) Mandatory Price field for all ads
5) Smartfill for user tagging

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @mscott,

There is already a feature like that called Activity Feed. However, the new website will have subscription abilities so users can customise what they want to view. As an example, you are a fan of someones Tank Journal. You will be able to manually subscribe to their tank journal, and your subscription alert will notify you that the user posted an update to their journal and allow you to click on it.

Thanks.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
A small thing but a more obvious home tab would be nice for those of us with not so great eyesight (aka getting old....er).

Also may I suggest a couple of compulsory fields for classifieds.
  1. Postcode. Some people don't put a location on their ad at all (nor in their profile) & often location is "Melbourne" or "Victoria". A postcode at least allows us to determine distance via google.
  2. Price. Just a pet hate of mine, ads with no prices, just things like "PM me for price".

A few more emoticons perhaps..and a personal taste thing for me, I dislike the dislike option.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I was speaking to a member who hadn't been around for a while and is about to set up a new tank and the first thing he asked was why are there no tank journals anymore??

I think the tank journals and classifieds need to come back onto the main forum page. That's really the only thing that irks me and confuses the new member.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi @Sarg,

The new forum will have proper tank journals. Not forums where users can post their journal up, but full blogging systems in place. They will be able to be easily accessed through the navigation, as the dropdown navigation menu will no longer be present.

Thanks.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Have we looked at a frag trading system? The sort of thing where people can put up the frags that they do have with pictures, prices or trades?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
@Noro there is a frag trading system in the pipeline but I think it may have died in the ass... There were/are a number of members trying to set it up and if you are willing/able to help out then a PM to the right people/person may get the ball rolling again... I believe @NiCd was one of the people working on it.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I think the home page needs simplifying. There are a lot of choices to choose from and a few can be condensed. On the whole it is a pretty sweet site.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
One thing that @VaultBoy just jigged in my mysterious mind is perhaps having a pinned post somehwere of the staff members and what they do/look after. Since most of us (i.e. the staff) have been around since (or near enough too) the conception of TR we know eachother and what we're doing. New members wouldn't have a clue who does what and who to contact about which. I know there is the "moderator" tag at the side in our info panel, but if none of us posted comments in a thread (so it would come up), then the person/people viewing the thread wouldn't know we exist

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
@Noro there is a frag trading system in the pipeline but I think it may have died in the ass... There were/are a number of members trying to set it up and if you are willing/able to help out then a PM to the right people/person may get the ball rolling again... I believe @NiCd was one of the people working on it.
Yeah I brought it up too, even offered to help organise it but never really heard anything. I also raised the frag bank idea. Having said that, those behind the scenes will be flat out organising the new version of Reefuge so things are going to take time I guess.

I love this site, it is just plain friendlier in my opinion.
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_thumbsup.gif

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

For those interested in the frag system, the logistics of it are pretty much done. Currently, we are looking to find some really heavy duty bottles. We have been unable to find any of these, which will make transporting frags very safe and very cheap. Once these have been sourced, the frag program will be open to the public. Currently, the priority is the website though, the frag system will have time to be worked on after this.

Thanks.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I always found the plastic containers with screw top lids , That peaches and other fruit comes in to be good for frag trading ,
Just eat the peaches / pears or whatever , Good wash out and all done
There cheap tough and hold 1 liter , If everyone agrees to use these , before you know it there will be heaps of the containers hanging around , Also there easily replaced and nice and simple for everyone

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i see..i will keep looking sir...other ones that seem to be decent are the containers for the jelly vitamins...it is as you require, clear, durable, cap the diameter of the bottle

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
i see..i will keep looking sir...other ones that seem to be decent are the containers for the jelly vitamins...it is as you require, clear, durable, cap the diameter of the bottle
I'm not sure what the deal is when it comes to required size, but I would think those specimen containers that you get at the GP for urine samples could be good for zoas and smaller SPS frags.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I'm not sure what the deal is when it comes to required size, but I would think those specimen containers that you get at the GP for urine samples could be good for zoas and smaller SPS frags.
I would think a perfect size for a frag. They may be brittle though, perhaps soft plastic would fare better in the mail?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I would think a perfect size for a frag. They may be brittle though, perhaps soft plastic would fare better in the mail?
Hello @ijg3956,

We already purchased specimen vials and tested them. Although their shape and size were perfect, they were far too brittle for the mail. Because of this we are unable to use them.

Thanks.