Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Growth rate of Monti caps?
Hi guys,

I would LOVE to add a Monti cap to my tank (std 4 foot, 180L) and am working towards creating the right conditions for one, but I am still in the research phase of keeping these corals. My tank is only so big so I am wondering what the growth rate of Monti caps is like and how aggressive they are?

Anyone have pics of theirs they can share?

Thanks,
Megan

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Not sure if I can help u about this. I have a superman monti about 2 months ago (a frag) and now it reaches the edge of 2 sides of 4 so I have to mount it in a rock later .. well, although in my frag tank..

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I'd like to know about this as well, for another reef tank I'm putting together. I've been trying to get 1st hand experience as well, so I'm going to tag along on this thread :D

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I have never seen a sweeper come of my monty caps. They are one of the faster growers but if you give it room, both depth and width even with ideal conditions it will be years before it out grows such a tank. Even then once it gets to a point its causing issues you can pull it out and start off with a new frag. :)

I reckon they are one of the greatest feature corals for a tank once they grow the trademark swirls.

The chalice/plate-formed Montiporas all grow very quickly under decent conditions. They, also, respond well to pruning back and setting frags. A typical 5cm frag will reach about 20-30cm across in one year, if conditions are good, which means good light, and enough calcium and water flow.

A side note on 'Caps', I have rarely seen a true Montipora capricornus in an aquarium! What we typically have is M. foliosa (strong, fine ridges), M. aequituberculata(thecal papillae, short ridges), M. crassituberculata (plate-like, coarse thecal and coenosteum papillae), M. vietnamensis (irregular coenosteum ridges, up-right growths), M. delicatula(fine, irregular coenosteum ridges, corallites in rows between ridges), M. confusa (heavy ridges, often upright growths with flame-formed riges). The true M. capricornus does not have coenosteum ridges. It is very coarse surfaced without tuberculae or papillae and rather heavikly built, which seperates it from the smoother surfaced, finely built M. florida, which has small papillae. When young, these Montis can be very difficult to seperate. Matured colonies are distinctive.

In the end, as these all take up quite a bit of space as matured colonies and require similar conditions, knowing the species is not required to maintain these beauties. Every tank should have a few. Even a frag in a nano is beautiful.