Which Light Is Better?

• Vertex Illumina SR900

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Giesemann Futura Or Vertex Illumina?
Hey guys I would like some thoughts on the 2 fixtures please ignore price and looks, I know we can't base our thoughts on numbers as you can't with computers although you can get a rough idea if one might be better for a particular reason please post your thoughts below, the 2 fixtures in question are:

Giesemann Futura - 950mm
http://www.reef-eden-international.com/Giesemann Futura LED.htm

and

Vertex Illumina SR900 - Stock no mods to the panels
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=5638

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hard choice hard choice. i think they are both great lights. i have never used a gieseman tho

what i have used is a vertex illumina they are very impressive lights and well worth the money if you have the budget for them.
i personaly dont like the look of the vertex and i prefer the look of the gieseman (from pictures)

specs wise they do see similar. vertex uses more leds so it would in theory have more punch. not to sure about optics options with the gieseman tho.

to tell the truth i would probably go the gieseman for looks. both lights will do what you want to do tho :D

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hard choice hard choice. i think they are both great lights. i have never used a gieseman tho

what i have used is a vertex illumina they are very impressive lights and well worth the money if you have the budget for them.
i personaly dont like the look of the vertex and i prefer the look of the gieseman (from pictures)

specs wise they do see similar. vertex uses more leds so it would in theory have more punch. not to sure about optics options with the gieseman tho.

to tell the truth i would probably go the gieseman for looks. both lights will do what you want to do tho :D
I guess you wouldn't be disappointed either way, the Vertex seems to have more LEDs meaning more white and blue considering at stock they don't have all the other fancy colours so I guess it would give you more because you wouldn't be turning down other colours to get the right colour temp however I think the Giesemann uses higher wattage LEDs thus giving out more light to compensate.

Having said that the Vertex is ugly and would probably look better if it were in a hood so it was hidden but also upsets me how Giesemann throw in this 050mm on their fixtures making the next step up, 1250mm making it longer than 4ft

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
decisions decisions. are they priced about the same? you wont regret a vertex they are great lights

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Honestly I'd go vertex.
Any particular reason? I noticed a lot of people say that because they've seen more of them but I feel giesemann isn't huge over here because they're overpriced by time they get here and the importer is a bit hard to deal with

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Ok so I found the Giesemann uses the Cree XM-L and the Vertex uses XP-E but I guess the vertex has been out longer hence the older version of LEDs

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The Vertex is old tech, so of these two I would go Geisman. However I think both are overpriced for what you get.

If I were getting a top end light, I would actually be looking at Pacific Sun - they have some sexy looking fixtures, and hybrids.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Pacific sun,..just goggled it. God fucking damn.,their version of hybrid looks way better than atis ones..lol.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
pacific suns LED looks ugly IMO but their software looks amazing...I will post this before searching the hybrid lol brb

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Not a fan ... bit ugly for my taste.
see thats interesting i like the design of the blaze. i hate the wide look might be due to me not having tanks wider then 2 foot tho. i find vertex ugly as hell love the look of the gieseman but still prefer the acrylic legs of the blaze

now this is a sexy unit...I discovered after I ordered mine...don't know much about it but so sexy

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/01/20/sfiligoi-genesis-led-t5-fixtures/
View attachment 18766
thats a nice looking hybrid!!

pacific suns LED looks ugly IMO but their software looks amazing...I will post this before searching the hybrid lol brb
i feel the same. programing looks slick as! but thats one damn ugly unit! what are they priced? my lights have allways been set and forget tho so programming doesent bother me as long as i can set my sunrise how i want it. the vertex can do some cool stuff on the sunrise to panel by panel

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i feel the same. programing looks slick as! but thats one damn ugly unit! what are they priced? my lights have allways been set and forget tho so programming doesent bother me as long as i can set my sunrise how i want it. the vertex can do some cool stuff on the sunrise to panel by panel
that's like anyone I think lol set once and good to go unless you wanna show it off or acclimate corals/fish...I can do it from the iPad Mini when I get my new light :P

Reactions: MTG

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
@leodb89 you've already ordered a light? Which did you get?
I ordered the giesemann futura 950mm i am contemplating ordering a second because of the depth of my new tank but i might just wait to see how it goes and then order another if i cant get enough spread or growth