Reef Discussion

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Your correct dr_schell

They do form monogamous pairs in nature and in captivity, both individuals live in the same burrow where by the male hunts for her and provides food along with defend the burrow while SHE is rarely seen in the depths of the "U" shaped burrow tending to the eggs/herself.

They are well adapted to stealth attacks / hit n run. =)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Hello all =)

This is my latest installment of stomatopods a mating pair of G.graphurus they have been in the tank for only a few hours and are already adapting well and displaying for the camera =) the female Minnie is about 60-75mm long whilst Maximus looks to nearly be twice her size!

Maximus
aimg857.imageshack.us_img857_9936_sam0130u.jpg
aimg822.imageshack.us_img822_4254_sam0132r.jpg
aimg62.imageshack.us_img62_5430_sam0133k.jpg
aimg593.imageshack.us_img593_4162_sam0135if.jpg
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/2015/sam0144u.jpg[/URL]

Minnie
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/3294/sam0148n.jpg[/URL]
aimg40.imageshack.us_img40_929_sam0150c.jpg

Hope you like them!

(Thanks loads dr_schell!!!)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Nice photographs, they really show off their colour.

I am sure that this pair will give you many hours of interesting behaviour, and are likely to give you an insight into mantis shrimp breeding. Although the male is much larger than the female, the female determines the timing of mating and will "boss" the much larger male around, to the point of evicting him from his burrow (all without any agression). This is a delightful pair and I wish you all the best with them. Glad that they found a good home :) Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding these animals.

Cheers, Chris.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
They are a very active pair, they went through the evening with no problems at all and both are inhabiting the same pieces of LR you gave me that had there original homes, I have essentially re-created EXACTLY the same tank you had them in at yours, but mine is 2-3x the size and LOADS of LR for them.

I'll post a pic of there overall setup in a sec (which is plumbed into my DT with Morgoth in it)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Here is a pic of there housing which is my sump/extra tank

As you can see it is quite dim for lighting and there is ample space + ample LR.
aimg190.imageshack.us_img190_8766_sam0151w.jpg

Do these pieces of LR look familiar dr_schell ? They are both in the same hole that they were in at your place just that lighting is quite dim.
aimg407.imageshack.us_img407_8300_sam0152j.jpg

Many more pics to come & Thanks again dr_schell =D!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Nice set up, just remember that most of the smashers are diurnal and have eyes that are adapted to FULL strength sunlight. Certianly smithii and graphius will be more active under pright light as they "close their holes during the night.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Yeah this whole setup is temporary anyway =)

Very soon I'll be creating my grand master piece! Tanks all linked together and stacked together and of different sizes to account for the different sizes of the various species 30L e.a. for smaller <100mm species and around 100L e.a. for larger >100mm and then there is 1 "prize" tank that will hold a mating pair of L.macs which will be around 240L, all of them are going to stack inside a giant steel frame I'm making at work =D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Hello all

I managed to get a quick film of Maximus attacking the Trochus snail that resides within his enclosure hope you all like it =)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Hello again all =) lol...

I managed to get something else on cam that stunned me considering I haven't owned this pair of stomatopod for 24hours yet (have now)...they mated RITE in front of me so I got to see how it all went down, unfortunately in my fluster of excitement I couldn't keep my camera as focused as I would of liked to, so I broke the video I made of it all down into 3 parts.

First off you get to see a short clip of how Minnie (being quite small) can easily go through the egg crate barrier and into Maximus's enclosure, then rite into his den without a care in the world for his privacy or her safety! I think she was nervous cause of the camera and myself trying to get a sneek peek on the naughty stuff happening
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_heybaby.gif

Next up you the pair start to emerge from Maximus's Den together, perhaps it was getting to tight of a fit in there for some of the kinky acts that they were trying to perform
towards the end of this short clip you can easily see how Maximus is Holding / Hugging her and the complete size difference between them, even though she dominates him.

Finally they get fed up and roll out of the hole and start to "bang" away at each other its rather interesting to watch to say the least
yet again you can see the massive size difference along with how she pulls away first to signify that SHE is done.

Hope you like the videos I wish I could of kept it all as one, but there was a lot of zooming in and out where the camera was really bad focus...so I thought this was best!

More to come =)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
As I said to you, they are a good breeding pair. Just ensure that you seperate the female now so that she can lay and incubate her eggs without the male. Otherwise she may become agressive to the male while guarding the eggs.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Re: Maximus and the trochus - LOL at 18 seconds where you can tell what's going on in Maximus' head. You need thought bubbles!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Re: Maximus and the trochus - LOL at 18 seconds where you can tell what's going on in Maximus' head. You need thought bubbles!
Unfortunately I don't have a movie editor and Windows Live Movie Maker is always 'broken' for me -_- as much as I want to make goofy funny vids!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
A few things have happened in the past week and a bit =)

First off Morgoth my large spearer whom had been missing for over a week has just re-breached the surface, Morgoth was molting, during the molting period he closed off both entrances to his burrow along with filled the "windows" with sand, thesewindows he created initially were all that allowed me to see below the depths of the DSB and into his burrow. So Morgoth survived his first molt in my ownership =) however it also led me to believe in something else....

Morgoth the Patient.
aimg441.imageshack.us_img441_3316_morgoth.jpg

Morgoth Excavating

Stomatopods shouldn't be shipped or even bothered during there molt cycles, Morgoth being a large stomatopod would of been well into his molt even BEFORE I obtained him, but once the seller disturbed Morgoth in his original tank, Morgoth postponed the Molt...even though he was in a weakened state, he managed to pull through, a true testament to the survival of stomatopods and why 3/4 of the species are found in aussie waters.....natural aussie battlers! =)

More information on Morgoth which upset me slightly but, I can easily see confusion... Morgoth IS NOT a Lysiosquillina Maculata....he is a Lysiosquillna Sulcata essentially a much smaller L.mac, this in tern has made me re-think about my current tank and prompted me to get my "King of Mantis Tanks" setup well and truly underway...although there is nothing wrong with the tank Morgoth is in rite now, it is quite large for him and be a bit of a 'waste' for the tank itself....Morgoth might just also be as BIG as he is going to get hence the wasted space in the tank he may get a 1-2inchs larger IF that.

The difference in L.mac & L.sul is very small...they share the same colors and color patterns, the BEST real way to tell if you have an L.mac (for the avg joe) is size...if the "Zebra stripe pattern" mantis shrimp is 200mm+ odds are its an L.mac anything less then that and its 50/50 unless you REALLY know what too look for.

However over my holiday break from work I happened upon...yet ANOTHER stomatopod needing a home to go to for which I was more then happy to supply =) it is in a large species container hanging inside my large tank which houses Morgoth, both are safe from one another, this new Mantis I have is an interesting one, perhaps the most colorful that I have rite now, it is a Gonodactylaceus Falcatus.

Gonodactylaces Falcatus (not the best pics) but you can clearly see the dark reddish and bright yellow colors being the dominant colors, it is about 60mm long.
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8228/sam0163n.jpg[/URL]
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2749/sam0164t.jpg[/URL]

Although G.falcatus has settled in well it is not as inter-active as the other species I own, staying inside its piece of PVC and rarely coming out.

As for the rest of the crew =) Maximus, Minnie, Adam, Eve & Rocky not much has happened really although there is some to tell =) Rocky being the over-zealous and most inter-active mantis I own has snapped off one of his clubs ='[ this has not phased him in anyway and he is still as inter-active he knows as well as I do that it will grow back next molt =)

Maximus & Minnie continue to copulate showing no signs of aggression towards one another both inhabit separate pieces of Rock and those pieces of Rock were the pieces I got them in each =) both Maximus and Minnie like to display aggressively he does it more though and she tends to just follow my finger in curiosty, he will show his weapons and 'puff' himself up.

Eve is doing fine and getting bolder by the day, she to molted about a week or 2 ago which was a successful molt =) whilst I was out picking up the newest member of the crew "G.falcatus" the bloke selling them too me had multiple snails on sale too and not the HUGE ones you normally get at the pet store, I asked if he could back 20 and he did =D so now I have put a few snails in each compartment for each mantis to "play" with =D I'll try to get a video of one of the mantis shrimps playing with a snail =).

Rite now though....its all about the next setup...the setup that will hold between 15-20mantis shrimps the setups of setups as I like to call it =D and hold a total volume of around 1000L =) More on this soon as it is the next thing that must be done to accomodate the ever growing collection I got going....

Cheers