Reef Discussion

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
fungia in trouble!

i brought this really nice orange fungia on the weekend, it opened up real nicely the first two days i put it in, and then yesterday i came home from work and realised it looked like this..it looks like some of its skeleton has been broken, and i think i saw one of my peppermint shrimps eating it..im not 100% sure, but it was definitely picking at it..

im not sure what has happened to this coral for it to be messed up like this..only thing i can think of is that my strom crawled over it an broke it or something..but does anyone know if its possible to save this?, I've put it in a breeding box just incase it was getting nibbled on by the shrimp..but i doubt that was the case..just thought it would be good to isolate it a bit.

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
sorry ill get a pic up soon.. for some reason the site isnt letting me..ive tried on multiple computers

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Still looks like there is a fair bit of tissue there...can definitely be saved given that whatever was causing it to recede has been eliminated. My orange fungia had about 10% tissue loss at one stage after be picked on by an eibli angel. I removed the angel, kept up the frequent water changes and it got back to full health. Still going strong today!

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
Still looks like there is a fair bit of tissue there...can definitely be saved given that whatever was causing it to recede has been eliminated. My orange fungia had about 10% tissue loss at one stage after be picked on by an eibli angel. I removed the angel, kept up the frequent water changes and it got back to full health. Still going strong today!
yeah, i noticed today that the tissue has inflated very very slightly, so it looks like i can hopefully save it..im just wondering what the hell it could of been that done it, cause i don't want to put it back into the tank with the chance of it being damaged again..i saw my peppermint shrimp hovering around it and stuff...you reckon it could of been the shrimp? or maybe it was just removing dead tissue from it.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
yeah, i noticed today that the tissue has inflated very very slightly, so it looks like i can hopefully save it..im just wondering what the hell it could of been that done it, cause i don't want to put it back into the tank with the chance of it being damaged again..i saw my peppermint shrimp hovering around it and stuff...you reckon it could of been the shrimp? or maybe it was just removing dead tissue from it.
One of my fungi a is the same, which is strange because there is another one right next to it and it's really healthy. My peppermint shrimp has been having a pick at it also. It's not dead because it will still eat a bit of prawn meat if I put it over it's mouth. Other members have told me to just wait it out, they have had the same problem and they have eventually come good.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
The good one does but the "sad" one sometimes looks a little better at night but only marginally. I'm still surprised that even when it's clamped right down it will still take in a bit of prawn!!!!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Actually I just went and had a look at it in the dark and it's completely clamped down, the good one right next to it is puffed right out and looking great. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I think it has gone to the big aquarium in the sky, It's really clamped now and it's mouth is just staying slightly ajar and no reaction to food. If it has carked it, is there any danger leaving it in the tank?