Reef Discussion

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Fragging Xenia
My Pulsing Xenia has grown big and I would like to try frag a few pieces off. Trouble is I don't know where to begin.
Any tips on where to cut the Xenia and how to attach to a new rock.
And what's the likely reaction to this procedure, will it create mucus and foul the water of my display.

Thanks!

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
cut however you want SLIN, they will grow back. Not sure about the water fouling but I have done it and it was fine. Just an elastic band for a few days around the base and it will stick or you could try fishing line.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
the xenia will pout for an hour or so then be back to normal, you can cut it anywhere anyhow as long as there is tissue on both side it will regrow

it dumps a bunch on nasties into the tank, carbon clears it up. if you dont run carbon I havnt seen anything die from the toxins but I have seen loss in colour and PE for a few weeks afterwards

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
any amount of tissue is capable of reproducing, ive heard stories of aquaculturist putting the flesh in blenders and then pouring the moosh into holding tanks with basically no flow to seed rocks

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The Xenia seems to have liked me putting Iodine in the tank, heard a few story's saying this makes them grow. I put in 10 drops a day for a month.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
This is good info, Im looking to chop mine pretty soon. Thinking about getting rid of it all together

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I use a pair of stainless steel scissors. I snip the head off a stalk then put it in a plastic container in the tank filled with coral rubble. About 3 days later it is attached and ready to go back in full flow.

I have also leaned the Xenia rock up against another and waited for it to attach, then made a quick cut to separate the attached part from the mother colony. Over a week you will see new polyps beginning to grow.
I haven't noticed any mucus or adverse reactions in the tank when I frag it.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
any amount of tissue is capable of reproducing, ive heard stories of aquaculturist putting the flesh in blenders and then pouring the moosh into holding tanks with basically no flow to seed rocks
When I read that, I suddenly had a Dr Who/The Fly flash-back and had a mental image of someone blending several types of coral and the "moosh" growing into new weird hybrids.......
I'm prone to odd ideas, I know. The 2 scotch and dry i've had so far aren't helping either..... :confused:

Thanks![/quote]
hey mate
My Pulsing Xenia has grown big and I would like to try frag a few pieces off. Trouble is I don't know where to begin.
Any tips on where to cut the Xenia and how to attach to a new rock.
And what's the likely reaction to this procedure, will it create mucus and foul the water of my display.

hey hey mate if your frags go ok would you be interested in selling one?? i would love one??

malau

Oct 13, 2011
I normally put the large rocks next to the buds then they will split it and seems the survival rate is higher