Reef Discussion

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
fragging/propergating a leather coral
Hey guys, I've just noticed that my leather coral has some aphista growing out of its stalk?? so am wondering about the best way to save a bit of it, The head isnt affected just the lower parts of the stalk.
Should i just cut the whole head off and get it attached to something, or should i try something else??
cheers

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
if you have aptasia in your tank, a longer term solution would to obtain a preditor of the aptasia. Pepermint shrimp are generalist feeders although they do tend to target aptasia. Once they have eaten the aptasia, they will act as part of your clean-up crew. Worth their weight in gold.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Yea i have a few of them in there, but they only get the apistia thats in the shadows of the rockwork, they never come out because the clowns try to eat them/get agressive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
pepermint shrimp are nocturnal. They should come out at night to feed on aptasia. If you can inject the aptasia with lemon juice (using a syringe) this will immediately kill them

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Its kind of like weeding the garden, you've just gotta keep at it and eventually you'll be weed free. Sounds like you are doing a good job :) I don't remember seeing any Aiptasia when I saw your tank, I need to be more observant!

Re: Sarcophyton propagation. You'll need some stainless steel scissors... do you have any by any chance? He he ;)
This is one of my favourite videos from the Tidal Gardens series:

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
yea, you didn't see any coz i "weeded" the day before haha, I've got most of it, but the stacking of the rocks makes it hard to get all of it.
Oh BTW, the xenia head attached realy well, is now probly the main focus of the tank.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Well the tank looked great - just think, every time you eradicate one, you have prevented many.

Good to hear about the Xenia! Soon you'll be propping your own. I noticed a tiny Xenia growing on a cable tie yesterday - they are amazing!

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Well, i injected the apistia with a little cocktail of lemon juice and vinegar, so we shall see how it goes, as they were still quite small i reckon they may have been behind the leathers not so good looking apearance.
cheers

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
cheers, it seams to look the same as it did before i attacked the apistia, so hopefully it means its going to be alright, but we shall see

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
if the leather has been affected, its polyps will be withdrawn and an "acid" burn will be apparent where it has been injected