Reef Discussion

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
fragging bubble tip anenomes?
gday reefers :)

after reading Dr schells TJ for his GB maroon clowns and his nem he stated that he had fragged his, hopefully he might jump in and put his very welcomed (and anyone elses for that matter ;) ) experience and advice on the matter of fragging anenomes (if you would call it fragging? maybe propagating?).

mine is a BTA, would love another but am not likely to try propagation/frag on this one as I would crap myself if I killed it. but I am very interested in how it is done. I know there is a lot of utube video on fragging and things but would like to hear others thoughts :D

I have also read that some have had them go through there wavemakers/powerheads and been torn to shreds massivly messy and causing problems but then sometime later finding some little nems from the pieces that hadnt been cleaned out to stop contamination.

jamie :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Jamie

This is an article in Volume 4 Issue 2 of Reef Hobbyist Magazine on this very subject - available here http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version14.pdf

Not necessarily something I would be willing to try.

That being said, BTA's are fairly resilient. I had a Rose BTA a few years ago which had its foot across two fairly large rocks - I wanted to move the rocks around and spent ages trying to move the foot off one of the rocks. After about 30 minutes my arm was aching like anything trying to hold the rock and remove the BTA. Eventually I had to do something - I pulled the rock away and tore the BTA in two. Both bits were fine and in a month or so you would not have known what had happened.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
thanks for that shane! muchly appreciated :D

I knew I had read a couple of stories in regards to this and things being as simple as it tearing in half. will check out the article, like I and you have said though, I dont know if I am keen to try and "frag" one though, it seems after a little more research that alot of the success has been from accident!

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I've seen some vids of people just picking them up and proceeding to just cut them up the middle with a pair of sissors! God damn man, I couldnt do that lol. I'm a little girl yeah I know lol :D

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You're all wimps ;) I just got a BTA last night with the intention of fragging it. This one has grown from small in another reefer's tank with less than ideal parameters so I am confident that it it is hardy. Am going to cut it tomorrow after I get home from work before I get too attached to the little guy - just not going to look it in the eye until then! I will see if I can video my attempt or take progress shots. Will let you know if it's successful or not, wish me luck!

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
I'm imagining you wearing a Zorro type mask with no eye holes whilst you cut it ;)

let us know how it goes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Megan can you leave it for a few weeks before you frag it?? In the article linked to above, they leave it for a week after removal from the rock to give it time to recover from any injuries and stress from the move. Yours has not only gone through the removal process but also, most likely, is getting used to different water conditions.

Better to be safe than sorry ;)

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
My BTA is probably close to 30cm diametre when fully inflated.....I once tried (unsuccessfully) to remove it from a rock...definitely can't cut it.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
This one was not separated from the rock it was on and transported for 45 minutes - it was fully open within an hour of being placed in the tank after acclimation and is looking pretty happy. I will give it a weeks grace just for you Magic

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
definately get pics! and let us know how you go, I am tempted to give this one a crack now as the LFS has a much much better looking one, with better brighter colours for only a $50

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
This one was not separated from the rock it was on and transported for 45 minutes - it was fully open within an hour of being placed in the tank after acclimation and is looking pretty happy. I will give it a weeks grace just for you Magic
A weeks grace, hehehe, Megan, in that time you will get attached to him & the mere thought of attacking him with a sharp instrument will make you think twice. :D

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
has it got a name...? if you want to get brutal dont give it a name!

dad got a pig once that he was going to let grow up a bit then butcher....... then mum gave it a name and we didn't eat pork for over 2 years until "roast" (which is what I called it) got sent to a farm!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Ok so in readiness for the anemone torture you will witness at the end of this week - this is the anemone, in its little ricotta cheese basket. I didn't get home before lights out so turned them back on just for you lot. My camera isn't the best when it comes to detail but I think you can see it has speckled tentacles and fluoro orange tips.

The Reefuge_anemone.JPG