Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Flow vs. turbulence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLkW1-6HbQk&feature=player_embedded#at=111
Data extracted from http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/08/tunze-video-response/
Make no mistake about it, the video uploaded hours ago by Tunze Gmbh is a direct response to the results of the propeller pump study published a couple weeks back. The nearly ten minute long video first introduces the importance of water flow on the reef and in the aquarium, and then introduces the concept of a ‘ring current’ for better flow across a tank, and then dissects the difference between flow and turbulence.
Without explicitly mentioning the Vortech water pumps, the narration of Tunze’s video challenges the quality of the turbulent flow they produce, as opposed to the more laminar current produced by the Tunze Stream 2 water pumps. After criticizing the velocity-measured data resulting from mathematical analysis published in the propeller pump study, Tunze’s video response illustrates the difference in the quality of Tunze Stream 2 and Ecotech Marine Vortech pumps using fluorescent dyes.
We will let you form your own conclusion about the message Tunze tried to get across with this propeller pump video but one thing’s for sure: we haven’t heard the last of propeller-pump-gate.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Talking about flow-does anyone know if the hydor flos will fit the Tunze 6045-or would it probably be too small

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Interesting video - Tunze were meant to be redesigning the body of their larger pumps. Maybe they have just decided to use their own 'science' ;)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
gday :D

I havent had a chance to see the whole lot, my connectivity is to iratic and doesnt load well. what I wanted to say is as I have been reading some of the TJ on site a lot of people are running high powered pumps in there tanks but some tune them right down. I am running some standard pumps (used for water features and the likes, havent been able to afford the proper ones).
anyways, these are around the 400-500L/ph and give a fairly sufficient flow (well at least I think so) for the size of the tank and where they are placed.

other than control with the proper pumps, why are they so much higher on L/ph then the sort of pumps I am using? is this strength needed? I am pretty happy with the flow rates in the tank and how they perform in creating currents and cross flows. should I consider the bigger ones?

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
gday :D

I havent had a chance to see the whole lot, my connectivity is to iratic and doesnt load well. what I wanted to say is as I have been reading some of the TJ on site a lot of people are running high powered pumps in there tanks but some tune them right down. I am running some standard pumps (used for water features and the likes, havent been able to afford the proper ones).
anyways, these are around the 400-500L/ph and give a fairly sufficient flow (well at least I think so) for the size of the tank and where they are placed.

other than control with the proper pumps, why are they so much higher on L/ph then the sort of pumps I am using? is this strength needed? I am pretty happy with the flow rates in the tank and how they perform in creating currents and cross flows. should I consider the bigger ones?
It really all depends on what your keeping and what your trying to do ,
I have 3 13,000lp/h power heads and one 9500lph return pump , But i have a few SPS which need a fair bit more flow around them
I will have another look at your TJ

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
How much flow do you have at the moment mate ?
If you can break the surface of the water with a powerhead , It helps with gas exchange and can also help with PH balance

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If what you have works, don't change ;). The pumps you are using use a standard impeller to pump the water compared to the newer, higher flow rated pumps, which uses a propeller design and are significantly more efficient (look at the wattage of your pumps compared to a modern propeller type pump).The propeller pumps also deliver a wider flow.

Many of the corals etc that we are able to keep today were considered impossible 10+ years ago, especially SPS corals. One of the major advancements, along with higher water quality and lighting, is the knowledge that some types of coral require high levels of water flow to thrive. Many of these corals live naturally on the reef crest and thus have significant currents and waves crashing over them most of the time.

If you are not trying to recreate this type of environment, and thus keep this type of coral, then what you have should be fine.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
thanks fella's!

I have the internal cannnister filter with a small rain bar pointed up at one end, this breaks the water pretty well, ontop of that there is a 400lph pump that is pointed directionally diagonal up and into the flow of the other pump coming from the other end. I figured this type of cross would be good. everything in there seems to be happy though.

as you say majic, if it aint broke.. dont fix it. in saying this I would love to get the proper pumps that give wider flow etc. but finacially its not possible. not for a few weeks yet anyways.

I was just somewhat concerned that I needed a higher flow rate then what I had, expecially after seeing and reading others tank journals.

cheers :D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes, interesting video. The begining of the video does present conditons found on reefs. Surge and turbulance. In my large set up, this is where I have the wavebox providing TURBULANCE (mimicing waves crashing above the reef, and the SCWD and associated pump prodiving the alternating SURGE.

TUNZE certianly are fantastic pumps and built to last. However we must remember that all promotional material will provide evidence in favour of using their products. Once again, I think that it comes down to the purpose of the tank. If keeping SPS you will generally want high flows, and the alternative may be true if keeping species such as seahorses or pipefish. Fittness for purpose!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
as you say majic, if it aint broke.. dont fix it. in saying this I would love to get the proper pumps that give wider flow etc. but finacially its not possible. not for a few weeks yet anyways.
Keep a watch in the 'Items for credit' section in a few weeks - I will have one of the JVP propeller pumps going cheap. Postage shouldn't be too much from Hobart.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
awesome! will do matey :D

I have just changed over ISP and seem to have a much better connectivity (thank god for that) will prob watch the vid tomorrow :D

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Is there a way of putting micro bubbles into the tank to see the overall effect of two vortech's....both for adjustment and as a matter of interest....don't want to go putting dye into a functional tank!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
use a little tube (like air hose) placed close to the pump with the top end out of the water. The negative pressure around the pump will draw air into the tube and it should release it into the pumps flow..

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No reason why you couldn't do something similar to the video.
An aquarium airpump should do a reasonable job, or just blow into some airline with the outlet near the pump intake ;)

Edit - I take too long to type my responses

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Would you get enough air bubbles suspended in the water to give you time to frig around and move pumps to optimum positions

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Unless someone has actually tried it, its probably hard to give a definite answer. You might have to be the guinea pig - let us know when you try it out ;).

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Could I use the pump from my skimmer or would that put too many bubbles in...it's an aqua medic with a pinwheel in the pump...or needle something

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
would work a treat, just make sure that you do not hyper-saturate the aquarium water with Oxygen as this may result in the death of livestock! This can be done when air is sucked into water under increased pressure.