Reef Discussion

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
Flame Angel From Hell!!!!!
Hey all. Like to know other peoples experience with flame angels and any suggestions for helping to catch this demon. I know they are and Angel so always a little risky but usually are considered to be ok in reefs. I had one before which was fine until a Mantis munched him. This one is destroying my coral. A $50 fish has already taken out a master grade rainbow scolly, nearly knocked out couple of export grade Wilsonis (just managed to rescue these and recovering in sump. I have a large true full stem toxic green hammer looking worse and worse. All my sps has been retracted since acquiring him, although they are still growing and coloured.
I have an aqua medic trap door fish trap where you bait it up and fish swim in to eat. I have had basically my whole collection of fish in there like completely packed full of all my fish except this angel and my blue tang. My Sailfin has even started sleeping in there lol. I leave it in there 24/7 hoping fish to become comfortable with it.
I am worried this fish is going to take out thousands of dollars worth of coral before I can do anything about it. I have a new 8ft tank, but I cant move anything over for several weeks. Only just plumbed it yesterday and half filled. Waiting for nsw delivery through week to complete fill and obviously need to let it run for few weeks before I start moving some coral and rock over.
Any tips appreciated, I know there is probably not much I can do except keep persisting with the trap. Guess I am more venting than asking for help but would appreciate any new ideas.
Has anyone ever had one that pecked at coral and gradually stopped over time. Anyway if anyone got a fish only setup and want a beautiful flame once I catch it they can have it for $50. Beautiful colouration.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
We have been lucky I suppose our flame ( like your first ) hasn't touched anything yet !!! Know how you feel trying to catch. We tried for over 6ontha to catch a troublesome fish. Like you only one that didn't go in the trap. Try starving your tank for a while. If he is hungry enough he will go in. Or maybe put his favourite coral he is destroying in there ! Might work you never know ! Lol

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
This is the method i use To catch a fish, feed them in the same place repeatedly. Once they come there to feed put a fish net (a big one) in the tank under the water with the net bent parallel to the surface of the water. Keep feeding in that area with the net in the tank.leave the net in 24/7. Finally, after a week or so the fish will be super used to eating over the net. I usually put a block of food or whatever you feed in the net and slowly raise the net to the surface, hopefully with the fish inside! Good luck

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think you will find that if a fish is eating particular corals then it is unlikely to stop eating those corals.

Do you know where the fish sleeps?

If you wait for a few hours after the lights are off and then quickly turn all of your tank light on, the fish are blinded for a while and can be easily caught in a net. This doesn't help if the flame is deep within a rock structure but you might be able to move it out in the open with your hand or a something similar.

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
I think you will find that if a fish is eating particular corals then it is unlikely to stop eating those corals.

Do you know where the fish sleeps?

If you wait for a few hours after the lights are off and then quickly turn all of your tank light on, the fish are blinded for a while and can be easily caught in a net. This doesn't help if the flame is deep within a rock structure but you might be able to move it out in the open with your hand or a something similar.
Deep in the rock work ofcoarse. Typical. Probably just have to wait till I start transferring stuff over to new tank and hope the damage between now and then not to severe. Little bugger isn't just targeting a particular type or colours either. He is nipping at everything.