Reef Discussion

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Fish List
Hey guys
Just thinking about my fish list for my fluvial edge.
My stocking ideas are
Pair of platinum clowns
Fairy wrasse
Blackcap orchid dotty back
Helfichi fire goby
Blood shrimp or sexy shrimp
Obviously not going to have them all
What would you recommend cohabily wise and what order should they be introduced.
Cheers

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Are you in Sydney?
How big is the fluval?
Fire fish first - then the rest.
Maybe not the dottyback as it might boss the fire fish . Your choice in fire fish are the nicest and I don't think the wow factor should go to the dottyback since you chose helfrechi

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Are you in Sydney?
How big is the fluval?
Fire fish first - then the rest.
Maybe not the dottyback as it might boss the fire fish . Your choice in fire fish are the nicest and I don't think the wow factor should go to the dottyback since you chose helfrechi
50liters
Nope Gold Coast
Cheers

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Flame wrasse is not really suitable for nano 50 litre tank I'm afraid.
Fifty gallon maybe .

I would personally try keeping the cheap fire gobies first before the expensive ones / they all do better in pairs. Pick a very small one and a larger one.

Clowns make good nano candidates and so do Cardinal fish.

You could try almost any goby.... Watchman goby with pistol shrimp is cool too.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/aq...m?c=15+2124&s=ts&count=24&start=25&page_num=2

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Or you could do the clowns and dottyback option . I kinda think with the dotty back though the clowns might be confined to the top left or right bottom of the tank. At least mine were like that with a dottyback in the tank.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Flame wrasse is not really suitable for nano 50 litre tank I'm afraid.
Fifty gallon maybe .

I would personally try keeping the cheap fire gobies first before the expensive ones / they all do better in pairs. Pick a very small one and a larger one.

Clowns make good nano candidates and so do Cardinal fish.

You could try almost any goby.... Watchman goby with pistol shrimp is cool too.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15 2124&s=ts&count=24&start=25&page_num=2
Why would you add the fire gobies 1st just cerious as they may be harder to get a hold of. I'm happy with the two pairs of there better suited. There a hardy fish arnt they? Why could I have trouble?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Fire gobies are common, helfrechi are rare!
Just saying .... Have you ever kept either?
They are a delicate fish they should go in first -since you asked for a order on how to stock the tank-
clown fish can be territorial but unlikely to cause any trouble.

Go check out photon clowns on FB for some crazy patterns.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Fire gobies are common, helfrechi are rare!
Just saying .... Have you ever kept either?
They are a delicate fish they should go in first -since you asked for a order on how to stock the tank-
clown fish can be territorial but unlikely to cause any trouble.

Go check out photon clowns on FB for some crazy patterns.
Yeah I kept a fire gobby for a few years seemed to be just as hardy as the clowns until one day it jumped out of the tank.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Yeah, you're right. Fire fish are hardy, including helfrichis. I had a cook island pair for several years who were always out and about. Never quarrelled with other fish, except sometimes chased ventralis.

However, They can't handle being bullied, especially by other fish that occupy a similar niche eg dottybacks, grammas etc... Then the fish hide, refuse to eat and are beaten up. :(

My 2c but that tank is very small. If you go ahead make sure you have a good cover.

HTH and GL :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Are you kidding me about $450 for a pair of Helfrichi gobies? I'm in the wrong country, lol. I see them sit forever here in the US at $100 each. I love them to pieces, but not $450 worth of love.

Firefish in general, be they reds, purples or Helfrichi are quite timid by nature and are susceptible to bullying. I make no qualms about telling you that I'm not a fan of dottybacks, they down right nasty little bastards. If you want something like that, a Royal Gramma would be my choice, a MUCH more passive fish. As for the clowns, the tank raised clowns seem to be more peaceful, wild caughts can wreak havoc in a small aquarium.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
As much as I like dottyback and six line wrasse, they are awesome fish but they are bossy boots.
There is space for them if I had a second tank .....

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
You could try assessors (yellow or blue).

I don't think I would keep a pair of clowns in such a small tank. You certainly couldn't keep anything else with a pair of clowns in such a small tank, certainly not if they started to get clucky.