Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Equipment And Additives Discussion
Hey Guys,

So i am open to ideas on this tank on what people think is the best way to kick this off and maintain it.

I was thinking of maybe going the Zeo 14-Day Cycle but also was keen on doing it the old fashioned way and writing up an article that new-comers can refer to when joining the reefuge.

as for maintenance, how does everyone feel about Zeo on a 150L tank, or would biopellets be an easier option and/or 2-3-part for the cal-mag-alk?

would be interested to hear from everyone.

Med_Reactor_Desktop_2-650x650.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i think if i go biopellet the 150ml one will work for me...i could also get another one for GFO although i think i can run it passively in the sump in the chambers designed for those types of media

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I am going biopellets + 2/3 part on my new tank which is about 150L. I'm lazy and the zeo route sounds like too much hard work!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I am going biopellets + 2/3 part on my new tank which is about 150L. I'm lazy and the zeo route sounds like too much hard work!
Will you be using a doser?

You planning on mixing from powder or premade liquid or from the bunnings mixtures?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
3 channel doser. Currently have a Marine Magic but I think one pump is broken so might need to invest in a new one. Think I might do Alk and Calc plus something with trace elements like the Seachem stuff being discussed. Dose mag manually now and again.

I currently use the premade liquid stuff because I'm lazy, but might have a go at powder at least like the 100% Reef Safe stuff. Again too lazy to read up on Randy and ensure I don't kill everything.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Picked up the Vortech MP10w today :) still need to get the heater and biopellet reactor, that should be enough to get started and then decide a little later down the track on dosing etc

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Went to Slippery Little Suckers in Kingsford picked up the Innovative Marine IM Desktop Reactor, i didn't realise how tiny this thing is im thinking of going and buying the larger one so there's more water volume to assist with the tumbling.

I also picked up the Thrive Aquatics Bio Stimulant Crush which is their version of a biopellet but looks more like rice lol. http://www.thriveaquatics.com/bio-stimulant-crush.html

From Aquaristic in Beaconsfield I grabbed ZeoStart3 and Zeo SpongePower, they didn't have any ZeoBak (i need for the 14-Day Cycle) and to start off the biopellets bacteria culture.

Instead for the pellets I grabbed the MarineBacter7 from SLS Aquariums also but will be waiting on the ZeoBak for the actual cycle.

Have to say George @ SLS was really helpful in explaining a lot of things, turns out brightwell have a guide to a similar maintenance plan and cycle as ZeoVit which im getting him to send to me.

Lastly i grabbed some RowaCarb for the tank also, not sure whether to run this passively or actively.

What are your thoughts?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I've decided i will give my gf my Neptune Apex for her tank, seeing as though mine is a few months off being set up and running properly I decided I'll do hers right from the start rather than add on later or anything, meaning i can get her the Schego heater and stuff.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Can anyone recommend an easy to follow maintenance guide for this tank? i dont think i have room for a dosing unit in the cabinet but my gf won't have any issues following one, i think the one i like most is @OSCAR85's that i bookmarked:

Hey,

400L tank
Ive got 1kg of stone 380lph.
start3 0.30ml morning and night
zeoBAK 4 drops 2x week

Sups
Coral Vtlzer 4 drops 2x week
Sponge power 4 drops 2x week.
phols extra 2ml 2x week.

I normally get them from either k&j or reeflections. Whoever has stock.
If your desperate maybe try reef secrets.
:)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
View attachment 41822
Can anyone recommend an easy to follow maintenance guide for this tank? i dont think i have room for a dosing unit in the cabinet but my gf won't have any issues following one, i think the one i like most is @OSCAR85's that i bookmarked:
zeovit would be pretty cheap on a tank of that size.

what would be even better is to run pellets on one tank and zeovit on another!

so you would use
250grams of stones per 100L 50% changed in first 4 weeks then 90 % change every 6-8 weeks (i think) running at 100L per hr pump.

zeostart 0.10ml per 100L each morning and each night.
1 drop of zeobak per 100L for new stones for 14 days then just twice a week tuesday/thursday for the remaining 4-6 weeks

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
this is just something i made on the computer to follow or my partner to follow when I'm away.

You will also need to buy THIS magnet as well, they are pretty hard to find..this one was given to me and I've never even seen another one to buy incase this one breaks.

photo.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
this is just something i made on the computer to follow or my partner to follow when I'm away.

You will also need to buy THIS magnet as well, they are pretty hard to find..this one was given to me and I've never even seen another one to buy incase this one breaks.

View attachment 41823
No way I could follow that kind of routine!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
So after the cheap AquaZonic heater exploded,the Schego 250w came in just in time for working on the tank day :)

I changed the plug to an aussie plug to allow room in the electrical boxes.

Schego Heater.jpg

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
So after the cheap AquaZonic heater exploded,the Schego 250w came in just in time for working on the tank day :)

I changed the plug to an aussie plug to allow room in the electrical boxes.

View attachment 42475
Thats a pretty heater. My heater runs non stop in winter! jager but i think i need a larger one cause at night when its like 5 degrees it can only heat the tank to 23.