Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Duncan Rapidly Losing Heads
About two months ago I lost 3 separate colonies of Duncans that were in different areas of the tank, I only managed to save two heads which are already sprouting new heads.
Through all of this, my green duncan wasnt effected at all but now all of a sudden it has lost about 10-20 heads over night. The only thing that has changed is that I moved the duncans from the sand to a rock. Every other fish and coral in my tank is great.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I have since chopped off the bad heads. It doesn't look like brown jelly. The skeleton goes from healthy to bone white overnight. Ive had the duncans for about 2 years now.
Calc - 330
alk - 8.5
mag - 1350
nitrate 5- 10
phos 0.09
ammonia, nitrite - 0
duncan.jpg

Here is the same duncan 7 days ago.
greenduncan010414.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Well it has only been on for 4 weeks and my measurements havent changed since I have been using it. The previous lot of duncans were lost before I even added the bio pellets.

E

ezza

Seems like a cop out... But after losing half my coral in a week, then discovering that the phosphate and nitrates were throuh the roof, it was all I could do and it's on the mend now. It can't hurt.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well I did large water change last week but I will do another this weekend :)

E

ezza

I am aiming to effectively replace the entire tank volume over a few weeks. I can't make too much water very quickly so I do what I can, but it's better than not changing it if there were some kind of pollutant you can't see causing trouble.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
well its 1000L, I changed 500L last week, I prob have about 300L left so Ill do another decent change.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well my phos has always been between 0.05 and 0.10, plus they get fed every now and then. I reckon ill end up putting it down to 'one of those things!'

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The heads aren't rubbing against the rock when they're expanded are they? Depending on your flow, it might be causing them damage?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I have my Duncan sticking out from the rocks in a medium water flow, full light and target feed it most days.
I also have my calcium up towards 500.
Nitrates 0, Phos .03, Mag 1350, Ammon 0, Alk 8 and do 10% NSW change each week.
My Duncan is fat and happy in these conditions.
My only suggestion is to maybe try feeding it a bit more.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
All the ones that died the first time were sticking out clear of the rocks because the skeletons were quite long and I had then end of the skeleton stuck down with coral putty. I have moved this green one back to the sand bed for now though.
I just find it strange that they were going great for 2 years!
I will make sure I try and feed it more often now too.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
No the little prick is eating them, or atleast biting them. I noticed this morning a polyp was extended but half of it was missing, which I thought was strage. Then tonight I just happened to glance at the tank and saw the blenny picking at it.

E

ezza

I had wondered if a fish ate my elegance because it was disappearing in chunks. Is it normal for a Blenny?