Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Ok,
Here is a better quality video of the tank. You can clearly see the effect of the wavebox and the gentle rocking of all of the organisms in the aquarium. The rocking also significantly increases the activity of the fish. The wavebox has a photocel that automatically turns the pump off at night so that the fish can sleep in peace.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I love the look of this. Is it just simply one wavebox unit inside the tank or more complicated than it looks? Anemone safe?

Earlier in your TJ you mentioned how much the last one cost you, but I can only find them $400+ online -has the price gone up since then?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes price has gone up. My first was second hand, this one is new. Only 1 wave box is needed to create the wave, which means only 1 pump is used. It is very economical. This one was pitched from @Reef6
Price was very reasonable considering what they achieve in a tank.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
So you have nothing else then? Just the wave box? Most people I know with one have another pump in aswell but I thought that defeated the purpose.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, this tank is anemone safe, the wave box osscilates so it does not continuously draw water though the device, it simply pumps for about 0.5 seconds every 0.5 seconds.

There is a second pump (hidden behind the rocks on the left of the tank. To this is attached a SCWD which changes the flow of current (ie approx 500L pumped out in 2mins from the left of the and then 500L pumped out for 2mins from the right of the tank you can see the outlets emerging from the sand bed at either side of the tank.

There is a third pump in the sump, which directs flow from the top centre of the tank, towards the sides.

What all this achieves is:
1. Osscilating water (rocking action) which simulates waves passing on the surface; and
2 Mass waterflow (directed flow) which simulates current.

On the reef, nothing is ever still. This is what I have tried to achieve with this tank.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
There you go I was wondering what those pipes were for!

Still couldnt get one though it would make the better half puke everytime she looked at the tank which would see it for sale in the classifieds :confused:

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the Nem survived but is now with a different owner. It ate 1 too many of my fish and I couldn't bare the thought of it eating any more. The anemone is still alive and well.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Its coming along Doc! I just went back a read through the journal again as I couldnt remember how your water pipes worked and got to this page to see it all here :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
love watching the little clowns in their host anemone. Just though I would podt a short video of them doing their thing. They are well aware of their small size (cardinals could quite easily consume them) and are always in very close proximity to 'their' anemone.