Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Dosing - Calcium, Alk, Mg
Hi all,
I did my first tests on dKH, Ca and Mg last week.
As posted they were :
dKH - 8,40
Ca - 350
Mg - 1400
I was advised to get the dKH and Ca up.
I dropped by Guppies yesterday and asked about Kalkwasser, and was told there is there alternat option - the famous Randy's Recipe.
I had read about it, but to be frank, at the time I thought his is too early, and did not pay much attention.
I was told I can buy the commercial Kalkwasser, but I should first focus on getting my Ca and Alk up - 420~440 for Ca, and 9 for Alk. Once I get these close, I can consider using Kalkwasser to maintain/stabalize with a dosing pump, or stay with the Randys Receipe.
Long story short - I bought a 2 Kg bag of Calcium Chloride and a 2 Kg bag of Bicarb for Alk.
When I asked about how much of each in what quantity of water, I was advised to go on line and find Randy's Recipe for directions.
I did this, and got a BFS video. Think I may have misunderstood it, as it said not o add more than 10 teaspoons for 5 Gallon RO water. I think he was referring to Kalkwasser.
Anyway, this fool, took 3 Lts of RO water, and added 3 teaspoons of the Calcium Chloride powder to it. Seemed a very weak solution, but who am I to double guess. Let it settle for an hour.
As a base level I first did another test.
dKH - 5,30 ( ?? !!)
Ca - 350
Mg - 1440
The dKH shocked me, as I did not expect such a dramatic swing - unless i did the initial test wrongly ?

I then dosed 50 ml of the Calcium Chloride solution into the sump. I checked every hour if there was any change to my pH, but it remained at 8.00
At 06:30 this morning I dosed another 50 ml .

By lunchtime, I noticed that my Gona and the Sinularius did not seem happy - now extension. My pH still showed 8.00
I have added images of them last week, and this morning. Is it just a coincidence that they are both not happy today, or did that minimal dosing cause it ?

I have now read up on the prep for a Randy's Recipe, from this site - preparing a 3.8 ltr ( 1 Gall) mixture for each Ca and Alk.
Seems I have the correct Calcium Chloride powder, and the Bicarbinate powder for Alk is also ok, once I have baked for 90 minutes at 180 Degrees.
The part 3 is the need to then dose Mg after having finished the Ca and Alk mixtures.
Apparently he has both, so I will pick some up later this week, although it is not going to be needed until after i have dosed the Ca and Alk, and my existing Mg levels are already ok at 1440.

So my question is, should I go ahead and make my 2 initial mixtures of
Calcium Chloride at 132 grm per 1 Ltr of RO water and 100 grm of Calcium Bicarb per 1 Ltr of RO.
Then initially no need to add the Alk, but to gradually add approx. 30~50 ml of the Ca mix a day, to get my Ca up to the target 420~440.?
If I notice a swing on my pH, I can then add the Alk mix ?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Jac

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Firstly - I wouldn't be dosing anything yet. Nothing wrong with those parameters.

Secondly, once you do get to the point of dosing due to coral growth - that randies recipe (without checking) sounds accurate.

Major rule of reefing - never chase numbers when your eyes are telling you otherwise. Ie, don't chase DKH or cal figures when your tank looked happier before you made the changes :)

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi,
had a great but short visit by Gerhard ad Dave this morning. Since my Ca is low at 350, I used the 2Kg bag of Ca I bought, to make up a 15 Ltr batch of Rabndys.They suggested a slow dosing daily, and monitor Ca. No need to add the Alk yet, nor Mg.
Will get a new Salafit dKH set kit, to be sure I am getting accurate readings.
I fully agree with you, and have steered away from all suggestions to dose all sorts of things this early. Once I get a bigger coral load, I am sure things will need to change.
I will get a small dosing pump, 4 port, and have kept in mind your post on water change on a small daily dose.
Not sure if I can use the dosing pump for that ?
Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
on a tank your size, nope - dosing pump won't move enough water for water changes. Still good for dosing though!

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi,
made up the first batch of Randys yesterday morning, and added 50ml.
Tested yesterday evening, and it was already up to 410 !! I have not dosed this morning, but will first do a Ca test later. If it is still around 410, I will not dose again, as I dont have much coral drawing any Ca.
Up date you later
Jc

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yeah, worried that could have been the case. I doubt 50ml brought a system of your size up from 350-410. The variance in our test kits and our testing ability is why you don’t want to chase numbers :)

Yes it was a great day @Jacques Pels . Looking forward to next week. Its great that you made up some Randy's. Certainly will not need much once you get your levels where you'd like them to be. We'll look at getting your doser set up as well, not that you'd need constant dosing just yet, but once it's set up you got it there for when you need it.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You guys are legends, nice work. I'm keen to get up and see all three of your tanks in person one day soon - great to see members meet the person behind the username :)

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
That sounds like a plan Dave. Sinc reefers tend to waffle on and loose track of the time, and have been know to partake of alcoholic beverages ( tsk tsk) it would be best to stay over.. so there is enough room here, and the offer stands to stay with us.
BTW guys, the new Hydra 52 lights are great, other than we are still not able to get all 6 connected..always get to 5 and the last one fails.
Not sure if due to the 3 new sand sifting starfish since Monday, or the Lawnmower Blenny, or the Rowa phos, or the Cheto in the refugium, or it has started to starve itself, but the Algae has most definitely reduced, and dramatically.. only a light green coating.:cum.... and this despite having the new lights on for 9 hours a day. !!

Looking forward to your visit on Friday.Ordered the dosing pump, so hope it is here by then. If we feel really energetic, we can try to tackle the removal of the driftwood and install the new rock ledge ? If so, I have a full load of NSW on hand.
Taking the family up today to Brisbane to finally visit Gallery Aquatica. :brb

Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sorry I missed the offer, but I cannot take you up on it. I've already broke flights which are incredibly tight (fly in Saturday morning and out Sunday night) Happy to catch another flight sometime soon though?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
When times were great in my tank Ca was sitting on 380 and did not move for months.
Don’t follow my lead but the good times had Mg at 1800.
Having a coast to coast certainly saved my ass as I 24/7 dosed CO2 into my reactor to produce KH at 5.5 to 6 which was just the sweet spot as far as bacteria dosing was concerned.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
why not add an extra day for your return flight ? Between the 3 of us, I am sure we can guarantee you will not get bored !

I ordrd my Milwaukee digital salinity refractometer 6 weeks ago. Turns out the first one was never sent due to no stock, so cancelled it, and re-ordered with Milwaukee direct. It arrived today. !!
After some of the other laborious tests, this is really simple.
First reading is SG at 1.026
The Wave Box dosing pump has not yet arrived :-(
Water is clear, Algae is as good as dissapeared !!! despite 9 hours a day lights on with the new Hydra 52's !!!, PO4 at 0 - fed the Gonia with Reef Roids, and started extending nicely again. The Mystery Wrasse ha established his turf and feeding.
All back on track... just waiting to get the $#@#%$ driftwood out, and replacement rock ledge in, and I can transfer the coral back from the sump to the DT, where I can finally glue them in to their final residence.
Put in a bid for a Litermeter in the US.. hope I get it, and I will bug you for set up hints. :brb
Gerhard and Dave will be here on Friday, so we should have some fun. Plan is to re-jig the center overflow stand pipes, to make them "silent" - and if the lads are game, empty 60% of the water and I will jump into the tank and ( with great delight) cut out the driftwood, and with their masculine endowments they will be able to pass me the rock ledge... and that thorn in my side will be forever gone.
Say tuned...:cum

Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sounds like a lot of fun! Unfortunately I cannot extend the flight, for a few reasons. I return to work on Monday (after 4 weeks off), I've already booked my flights and I'll need to get home to my own tank (hopefully with a bunch of new treasures from reef stock).

But I am serious about finding another weekend to come up!

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi,
the Wave Box dosing pump arrived.
I got the Litermeter on eBay USA. Think it is an older unit, but he claims used once as a demo, and back in the box. Main controller and 2 remote pumps. Ends up at A$ 530, so "seems" ok ???
I really dont trust the dKH test kit ( Red Sea) I have - was given to be by a retailer who said it was only used for 3 weeks about a year ago.. The Ca and Mg tests seem ok, but the KH does not turn from blue to RED.. when there is the color change, it is only to YELLOW...and the readings seem to vary - initial was way up there, but last few days I got 5.6 . With my new set up, and very limited corals and fish, this is just too low.
Tested the water in the IBC - filled 10 days ago with fresh SW, and got a reading (?) of 6.2
Am thinking of ordering a Hanna dKH checker - anyone have experiences, good or bad ??

Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
test kits do go off once opened, however a NSW reading of 6.2 DKH sounds accurate.

Hanna is fine, but personally I really like the aquaforest alkalinity test kit.

Sam

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
Dave brought his test kits with and tested the dKH and came up with 6.7 so that seems more realistic. Will try to get to RS today to pick up the new one I ordered last Sunday, but did not get to pick up this week.

Jac