Reef Discussion

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Just in my learning stage at the moment like a lot of other people, have a 4x2x1.5 tank which I am currently setting as mixed reef, Pretty sure I'm going to go the DIY route. How does a spread like this look over such a tank? using 60 3W LEDs on 3- 10"x 11" heat sinks (or whatever ally I can grab from work)

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_60LED_spread_colored.png

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
A couple of quick questions Joshwaaaa:
  • Do you have any braces across the tank. If so, where?
  • How high above the water will the LED's be?
  • Are you planning on using optics?
  • What are you planning for actinic as Royal Blue covers the required spectrum
By the way, I understand that red does not mix very well with blue/white and tends to spotlight badly. That is why neutral white is being used to bring in a bit of the red spectrum - not sure I have seen warm white being used.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
When attaching fans to leds to cool them, is it better to set it up to blow cool air onto them or suck the hot air out? Which directing does the air flow

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
for my sink i have one to scrap metal yard got 2 peices of ali from a shop fitting door 110mm wide and about 4omm box cut them to 1100 long and now have had 15 lights running on there for just over a hour as a test before putting the rest down and i can only just feel a litttle heat comming into it now so with the 6 fans i have bought off ebay for $4.50 each new should keep cool i think;)

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
A couple of quick questions Joshwaaaa:
  • Do you have any braces across the tank. If so, where?
  • How high above the water will the LED's be?
  • Are you planning on using optics?
  • What are you planning for actinic as Royal Blue covers the required spectrum
By the way, I understand that red does not mix very well with blue/white and tends to spotlight badly. That is why neutral white is being used to bring in a bit of the red spectrum - not sure I have seen warm white being used.
Pondering it at work I completely forgot about bracing, whoops :unsure it actually has a 150mm center brace so I suppose I have to rethink that one. But yeah aiming for around 150-200mm above water level however it will be adjustable as it will be hoodless. Optics I was leaning to 60's on the blues and whites which I think should give enough spread front to back, the actnics were more so just to bring out color in the corals as from what I have seen they really make the colors pop but I suppose the royal blue would do a good enough job of that?

Never heard that of the reds before, interesting. Only seen a few fixtures using them before. Maybe dont bother with them? just add a few neutral whites instead of the warm?

Will have to have another play with it at work when I'm bored tomorrow see what I can come up with

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
Ok so can i put a acrylic cover at the bottom of light to seal it off from the tank stop water getting in i have 60 optic lens. Milk that change it if i put cover at bottom

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm looking at ordering my kit from RapidLED today. The notes on the heatsink page say to contact them before buying, so am waiting to hear back. Was going to hold off for a couple more weeks, but I'm getting impatient.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
So late last night I finally received the paypal invoice for the kit + bits I wanted. All paid, now if it could just appear here right now cos I'm bored :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The RapidLED instructions talk about winding down the output of the drivers because 1.3A would be too strong.

A couple of questions aren't really addressed in their documentation:

- What should we wind them back to? (I went off 720~mA)

The instructions talk about using a multimeter to determine what the current is when you're adjusting the dimmer. It uses an example that suggests using another person to assist with wiring the multimeter into the LED circuit to determine the current, which is fidgety if done alone (I soldered probes temporarily to do this).

- Is it necessary to have a load on the drivers in order to determine the current they're pushing out, or would it be OK to just hook the LED + and - leads from the driver directly to the multimeter?

You will need to have the string of leds connected with the multimeter as part of the chain. The mA you need to run depends on the LED's you have ordered. XPG's roughly run at 1000mA (they can go higher) depending on how bright and how long you want them to last. XRE's around the 750mA mark.

Pete.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks for the questions David ;)

Yes, you do need a load on the circuit to be able to measure the current - and you need to hook up a string of leads before you measure the current, any less than the required number and you may burn out the LED's. This is not so important with the Meanwell 60-48P drivers as they automatically vary the voltage - the minimum voltage is 24V or 7 LED's.

They method you used to measure the current is quite OK i.e. putting the multi-meter in series with the LED's, but you need to make sure that none of the wires come adrift whilst the power is connected or you can blow the LED's. The major problem is that you need to disconnect a wire every time you want to measure/change the current.

An alternative is to put a 1ohm 5 watt resistor in series with the LED's. A wire wound one like this is best :
[Broken External Image]:http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_standard/015-1_s.jpg
Now, we will use Ohm's law of I=V/R where I=current, V=voltage and R=resistance. By using a 1 ohm resistor, R=1 which leaves us with I=V. Thus, rather than measure the current we only have to measure the voltage across the resistor which will equate to the current. This resistor can be left in place which means that the current can be easily measured at any time.

When you start, the current should be adjusted as low as possible by turning the variable POT fully counter clockwise - then slowly turn it clockwise until the desired current is achieved. Go slowly as this adjustment is very sensitive and a fraction of a turn can increase the current significantly.

What current should you use??

CREE XP-E's are rated up to 1 amp, with XPG's up to 1.5 amps. However, the CREE datasheet details, included the stated 50,000 hours life, are based on driving them at only 350ma.

There is a trade-off between lumens output, current and heat generated. I plan on providing more information in a future post in the DIY LED build series but the generally accepted compromise is around 750ma.

Hope this helps.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I have so many question's that they are still mixed up in my head as to what order to ask them :confused: must be a Kiwi thing. I will get there, great information tho mate.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Morning guy's,

first of the silly Q's. Ive noticed that alot of people grid out their heatsinks before attaching the led star's, what spacing is everyone using centre to centre of the star's?? 2" 4"?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Depends on how efficient the heat sinks are, if you overload a poor quality heatsink you may have heat issues even with a fan