Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Crab ID
This one is probably made for dr_schell ;)

Fragged a bit of birdsnest today and came across these two

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Crab1.jpg
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Crab2.jpg

Now the first one I am pretty comfortable with and he has been returned to the tank with the birdsnest.

The second one I am not so sure about - hairy legs worry me - pending the judges decision he has been sumped.
Any ID's would be appreciated :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the second is most probably what is known as a "Warty Reef Scraper" (Pilodius areolatus). The specimen depicted looks like a juvenile that has not fully developed the bumps on the carapace. This species uses it claws to scrape food off rocks and coral. Probably best to remove it as its "scraping" may damage living coral.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Ditch the second Shane or banish it to the weir or sump to feed on left overs. That's what I do,

ah how can you tell?
this is not y crab however used to have one
just had no photos on the compter ( googled)
anyway good to hear ppl dont like the hairy leg crabs..ive never been a fan ahah
is there anyway to tell if they are gonna eat the corals?
i thought most crabs would have a peck?? scratch ??
whatever at them soft and hard
thanks
Tim

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
This is my pair of anemone crabs
You can tell when they are about to mould as they get a red colouration to their shell. After they moult, they are bright white.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Seeing as we are talking about crabs, this is one I had in my tank a number of years ago
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Crab3.jpg

He didn't last long after I caught him eating my corals - here he is after cutting off a couple of tips of my torch coral
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Crab4.jpg

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I think i have a warty reef scraper.... He has been banished to the weir! I will try and get a pic tomorrow for a proper ID. Thanks for the info Doc