Reef Discussion

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
The first one looks like xenia, have you seen it "pulsing" if so I would definately say xenia.

The second Im not so sure! I was thinkging rhodactus morph but it looke like the polyps are on little stalks like maybe star polyps?!?!

Hope this helps!

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
Agree to all of the above.

I actually have new baby Xenias, the biggest is only about 1cm lol but quite pink looking, though I don't think they will stay that way.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
i found out it is a Xenia umbellata, now dose anyone know anything about fragging it lol :)
fragging is simple... cut the stems off and put them on a rock and cover them with a hair net to keep them down. Some people call it a weed as it grows so much! I had a nice piece, it had just settled in and started really growing fast, then my butterfly decided it was food... It was a short fight!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
when I frag Xenia, I thread a piece of fishing line through the stem of the cut xenia and use this to tie it onto the rock/coral skeleton. Attaches in about 3 days and then you can remove the fishing line

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
xenia is good for your water isnt it?
Xenia is a good indicator of the condition/quality of the water in your tank. Also, Xenia over-produces zooxanthellae (some of which is digested by the coral and some of which is released into the tank water) which can help to re-populate bleached/stressed corals in your tank by providing a "starter culture" of symbiotic algae for these corals.

fragging is simple... cut the stems off and put them on a rock and cover them with a hair net to keep them down. Some people call it a weed as it grows so much! I had a nice piece, it had just settled in and started really growing fast, then my butterfly decided it was food... It was a short fight!
ok kool, my xenia is only 5 cm long so its not very big should i wait till it grows bigger? and when i do cut it will it grow back in the same spot that i cut it from ?? or will that bit die?