Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Coral Beauty Issue
So I came home tonight and the coral beauty does not look to crash hot at all :( not swimming around and just stuck up against the rocks. Doesn't look like ich or any disease or parasites from my inspection under the light. She's been moved to the sump for a bit of darkness and reduced flow. She look fine yesterday but wasn't really eating.

My levels are all fine and I'm using NSW:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
pH: 8.3
Salinity: 1.026

What do I do?? Put her back in the tank or leave her in the sump under supervision?? Please help, I don't really want to lose her but I fear the worse

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The problem is over, the coral beauty died. I had a look over it and nothing :( I guess just the stress of it all?
I guess the bright side to it is that the hawkfish is happy and healthy and eating

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
The problem is over, the coral beauty died. I had a look over it and nothing :( I guess just the stress of it all?
I guess the bright side to it is that the hawkfish is happy and healthy and eating
Sorry to hear after the excitement you had over getting the pretty thing :cry

You might be right about the stress thing - was it one that was just delivered on thursday? maybe the two moves and then one to the sump didn't go down well. I saw some fishies today that didn't look crash hot.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It was delivered last week on Tuesday I think so it had had time to settle into there before being moved along again but who knows sometimes, I don't really think there was anything I could have done anyway unfortunately. It certainly wasn't for lack of trying though :)

Yeah it was a little bit, I'd still like a coral beauty though so I might get another or get some other fish on my list then try again.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Not good, but I am sure that this type of thing has happened to all of us at some time or another....

The fish do go through a lot to get from their home to our tanks so it is not surprising that some don't make it.

How did you acclimatise it ?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Thanks guys
And yeah they go through a lot after being taken from the wild so not all can be expected to make it

15min or so temp acclimatisation to match temp the slowly replaced the water in the bag over about 30-45 minutes. Does that sound right or is there a better way to be doing it because I'm all ears to avoid this happening again! The hawk had the same acclimatisation too

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I generally take a few hours too (for fresh or salt), I don't drip but just use syringe, take some water out (disposed of) and replace with some from the tank, over the few hours.. No need to rush acclimatization, drip would be better though...

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'm certainly thinking of increasing the time for the next fish just to increase chances as well. SG of store is 1.025 as far as I know so at least there's not a huge difference but definitely going to increase acclimatisation next time, thanks for the help/info guys and gals :)

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
The problem may not be over......this fish death is perplexing.........
Coral beauty are extremely hardy and should cope with LFS transport to your home and tank acclimitisation / introduction.
It is likely to be the significant difference in LFS salinity / temperature and your tank parameters. You did attempt to acclimatise, but maybe not adequately? It seems there were significant differences in the LFS water and yours. Could also be the CB was sick, what was its behaviour at the LFS?
Whilst there is good debate regarding quarantine or not, I do recommend you set up some form of holding tank to observe your new fish for a few days before introducing into your tank. A simple 50L tank, a powerhead or air pump and a piece of PVC pipe is all that is required. Let the fish get to know you and try a bit of food after a day or two. Your new fish should be acclimatised to the holding tank with about 1.022 to 1.024 salinity and 25 deg C from the LFS.
I'm not saying you done anything wrong here, I'm merely suggesting an alternative approach to new fish observation and DT introduction. Try another CB angel using this routine, then acclimatise to your DT and I'm sure you will have success if you have purchased a healthy fish.
Cheers!!!...... :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
what was the SG in the store? Fish can only take so much of a rise in SG, some fish can handle it better than others. Anything over a 0.004 rise is pretty dangerous

I drip acc all my fish for a minimum of 2 hours.
im with ant...a lo of people laugh when i say how long i drip things for, ive sometimes heard my LFS say they'll be fine throw them straight in...but i was taught to drip acclimate and i swear by it

the other thing i do that most others dont and is probably something that isnt required is i turn off my lights for 30min-1hr after adding the fish and then turn them back on

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Whilst there is good debate regarding quarantine or not, I do recommend you set up some form of holding tank to observe your new fish for a few days before introducing into your tank. A simple 50L tank, a powerhead or air pump and a piece of PVC pipe is all that is required. Let the fish get to know you and try a bit of food after a day or two. Your new fish should be acclimatised to the holding tank with about 1.022 to 1.024 salinity and 25 deg C from the LFS.
I'm not saying you done anything wrong here, I'm merely suggesting an alternative approach to new fish observation and DT introduction. Try another CB angel using this routine, then acclimatise to your DT and I'm sure you will have success if you have purchased a healthy fish.
Cheers!!!...... :)
i must put my hand up and say i do no quarantine but i am going to when i get my new tank and any future fish purchases

would you quarantine for anything else or just fish?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
In perfect world I would quarantine fish and quarantine and dip corals but my current situation doesn't allow for me to setup a quarantine system (space and money) once I am able to everything will be quarantined because I believe it's necessary but I unfortunately can't.

So from now on I've extended my acclimatisation, not quite a drip but small and steady water changes over about an hour to give the best chance and I turn the tank lights off and run the moonlights to help reduce stress :)
Not sure what happen but I have two happy healthy fish so I'll keep doing my best and hopefully no more loses!