Reef Discussion

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
That would be an unfair showdown. Having personally tested out the Kessil 150 I can argue that that was unfair. The Kessil light is like a coke can with led put in it. It would not feature on a tank bigger than 30cm cube, the light spread is very poor.
In fact a LFS that was the only distributer of Kessil in Australia now has the Illumagic over their display.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I know, all good mate.

I think we need a mazzara thread that is for mazzara and this thread thrown into a general opinion led thread my 2 cents

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
that is correct. unless you hang it you will need a light to the size of the tank. personally i think hanging a light is the neatest way although alot of people cant hang their lights. im currently using the 10cm rimless legs on my new setup. they look excellent if the light fits the length of the tank.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I cant hang as I am renting and am not moving the tank to build a frame.

So my tank is 30 inches, I need to get a 36 inch and have 3 inches over each side? yep, decision made.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
and it would raise the price considerably I would say.

so I ether get a custom unit mate and then sell it to someone hoping I find someone with a 30 inch tank when I upgrade next year or go for the maxspect and add modules when I upgrade. It has turned it into a no brainer but some cracking information from you guys

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
no problem mate. how does the mounting system on the maxspec work? to make it shorter how do you do it. cut it or does it have pre sized pieces that would hang over the edges? will have to throw up some pictures when you get the unit. havent seen one in person

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
if its for about a year until you upgrade to a proper tank with sump etc i honestly recon save your money and just buy a 4xt5 unit from guppies for $80 to play around with learn what works and what doesnt.

LED's change that much and im guessing if 2 pads are $900 you will likely be looking at 5 pads for a 5x2 and that the cost would be somewhere around the $2,500 mark which opens you up to an awesome range of lights now and in 6-12 months time alot better even again

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I wont bother upgrading the T5's, If I dont go LED I will stick to the T5 unit I made. I do know a fair bit about LED's due to the type of work I do, mainly just struggling to find the sort of information I need online.