Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Clown Fish
My clowns have started going in the elegance instead of the anemone , 1 have developed a ulcer like sore on him
IMG_2114.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
What does the sore look like? I can't really see anything in the picture.
It is possible that they are getting stung by the Elegance but they will get used to it.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
What does the sore look like? I can't really see anything in the picture.
It is possible that they are getting stung by the Elegance but they will get used to it.
It looks like a hole and is swollen, I was wondering if it was stinging then

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I think that would be unrelated to the Elegance. It is fairly normal for an Elegance to host Clownfish. Usually coral stings would look like little black dots on the fish.
Could another fish or invert have possibly bitten the Clownfish? I wouldn't panic about it. I have had similar on my fish from bumps and scrapes and they always heal up over a few days. Keep the water quality up and make sure they are getting good food.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I think that would be unrelated to the Elegance. It is fairly normal for an Elegance to host Clownfish. Usually coral stings would look like little black dots on the fish.
Could another fish or invert have possibly bitten the Clownfish? I wouldn't panic about it. I have had similar on my fish from bumps and scrapes and they always heal up over a few days. Keep the water quality up and make sure they are getting good food.
just noticed black marks on the other clown, higher on his back

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Here I am praying that my clown will take to my anemone and here yours are, over their anemone in an elegance coral!

JEALOUS.

With regards to the sore, I'd just keep an eye on it, you're right it does look like an ulcer. I think it would be paramount to ensure that he isn't unnecessarily stressed and just keep an eye on it. I have read that some people put garlic in their food to help ward off infections, this could be something you could look at doing - a pellet food that I feed my fish has garlic in it. But I have read that people add tiny amounts to defrosted food, that might be an ideal, non-invasive prophylactic method to help prevent the ulcer from becoming worse or infected and encourage healing.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Here I am praying that my clown will take to my anemone and here yours are, over their anemone in an elegance coral!

JEALOUS.

With regards to the sore, I'd just keep an eye on it, you're right it does look like an ulcer. I think it would be paramount to ensure that he isn't unnecessarily stressed and just keep an eye on it. I have read that some people put garlic in their food to help ward off infections, this could be something you could look at doing - a pellet food that I feed my fish has garlic in it. But I have read that people add tiny amounts to defrosted food, that might be an ideal, non-invasive prophylactic method to help prevent the ulcer from becoming worse or infected and encourage healing.
thanks Dean, they go in the anemone 2,I already put a few drops of garlic in their food to help my blue tang with white spot

Can you take them out? Do you habe QT tank? Might make it easier to treat the fish and give him a rest if the coral is adding the problem. I have also found that with my clowns that if I remove them and put them back in where I want them they tend to stay ( I did this when they moved into plate and the plate hated it).