Reef Discussion

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
Clown fish problem
I was told best to tag @dr_schell, as he would be the best in describing what's happening here.
My female orcellio* if that's how you spell it (nemo clown) is swimming face down bum up. I was just wondering if there is anything I could do to help cure this and find out what the problem and cause is.
So far the closest thing I've found to what the problem may be is a 'swim bladder infection'

Attachments

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Without more info, diagnosis is not possible. Sounds like partial inflation/deflation of the swim bladder. However there are many causes of this symptom. Without sufficient information the underlying cause and thus a remedy cannot be provided.

Is the fish wild caught? What is your tank parameters? What other fish are in with it? Etc, etc.

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
It's the female from a mates pair.
I have a pink anemone blue tang green leopard wrass and a yellow tail damsel.
The amonia is 0.25 mg/L
Nitrate is 5.0 mg/L
Nitrite is 0.0
Ph is 8.2
Temp: is 24 degrees c

Now the clown was originaly in a mates tank as my reefarium busted and she was only returned to me the other day. His tank parameters are similar to mine.
She has been swimming like this for the last 24 - 30 hours.
Their diet consists of brine shrimp only.
There is every possibility that they've been over-fed.
She's in a 350L aquarium with a sump refugium, with bio balls, phos-pad, carbo-pad, bio-mood, ceremi sub, live rock. Also a protien skimmer. The recycle rater would be approx 2000 litres per hour.

If that helps, thank-you heaps

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
I was told by the local pet shop to try her on some food containing vegetable matter. But then in contradiction was told that swim bladder infections can be caused by over-feeding

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
I'm unsure if the fish was wild caught but it came from 'Cairns Marine' so it probably was wild caught.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Your ammonia level in the tank is cause for concern. How mature is this system and do you have mechanisms in place to reduce the nitrate (ie reactors, water changes, etc). Implementing mechanisms to bring this level down will, in the long term increase the health of the fish over all. In the short term, you can use a product such as Sachem's "Prime" to bring these levels into those tolerable to fish. The ammonia in particular is likely to significantly impact on the health of the inverts (e. anemone).

The use of Bio-balls more often than not, results in increased levels of Nitrate in the sustem. When you get the chance, would be good for you to research alternative filtering mechanisms so that Nitrate does not remain elevated.

Given the tank parameters, I would correct the water issues FIRST.
then I would concern myself with curing the clownfish.

Alternatively, put the clownfish into a QT tank, increase the temp by a few degrees (to simulate a fever and increase the fish's metabolic processes) and hope that this works.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
by providing 'reef quality' water quality, you are likely to see an increase in the health of your fish, including the clownfish.

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
The tank is not mature at all. It's only been running a few days, due to my previously explained circumstances. I don't have anything to control the spikes ATM. But I'm setting salt levels in a container to change the water. But I'll try to find some 'sachems prime' to help.

Thankyou for your help. It's greatly appreciated,
I understand with the tank being juvenile it could be causing problems.. But I had no option with my original reefarium tank busting and only being able to accommodate my fish for a few days.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Please be aware that 'cycling' a tank with fish and invertebrates is highly likely to result in major issues to the animals, if not in the short term, then the long term. It is unlikely that the anemone will survive during the cycle, so please is there is any option to remove this into a mature tank, please do so as soon as possible. Be particularly cautious of Nitrite that has the potential to suffocate fish by converting the haemoglobin in the blood of the fish into meth-haemoglobin!

Prime will reduce the ammonia and Nitrate levels, but this chemical will also interfere in the cycling process and may inhibit the colonisation of bacteria required to establish a mature system. Please consider your options carefully.

Regards

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
Ok. I have no other options ATM. I'm stuck in a corner. I used a product called 'API stresszyme' to help build the tank.

By other options from bio balls, what do you recommend?

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
can your mate hold the anemone and clown for at least another 3 or 4 weeks ? or can you take it into a shop or something ?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Ok. I have no other options ATM. I'm stuck in a corner. I used a product called 'API stresszyme' to help build the tank.

By other options from bio balls, what do you recommend?

As @ethana123 if you have a friend or have access to a shop, they may be able to hold your stock. This is an option and even if you have to pay them to do so, will be cheaper than replacing stock in case of mortality (likely).

Genreally, the use of 'live-rock" is preferable to bio-balls. Please research this so as to reduce loss of fish and inverts during the cycle phase.

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
I have live rock in both my filter and tank.
I just double checked my parameters everything that was up is coming down.
I'll do a partial water change daily for thd next few weeks. It's the best I can do ATM.
Thankyou for your help. You e been a reliable source of knowledge. Thanks again

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I wish you all the best. Please try to find an alternative, but given that you are now aware of the issues, you will be better able to manage them. Please be aware that by doing water changes, you are going to significantly increase the length of the cycle period, however, it you have not other option, this may be the best course of action for your animal life.

Just remember to keep reading, asking advice and measuring your water parameters.

ChrisVG

Jun 30, 2013
Thankyou again gents. Like I said all my parameters are coming down. My ph is on the down too. But I'm
Pushing that up slowly ATM. Unfortunately I got no option to change waters and extend the cycle period. I'll add chemicals as previously mentioned. And slowly change my filter by removing bio balls And adding more live rock. I'll keep a eye on everything, to further understand how to control problems and understand illnesses in marine tanks. Thankyou heaps gents.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Why can't you take the fish to a shop and buy another when you are ready?

E

ezza

With my freshwater fish, if they show signs of swim bladder disease, I put squashed cooked frozen peas in the tank. If they're unable to swim, I place them in a little breeding/qt acrylic box with peas. The peas they eat get pooped out and it all returns to normal. Kinda like old people and prunes ;)