Reef Discussion

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Clam
My clam isnt looking to good.Ive tested my water and everything is ok.I have another clam right next to it and its fine.Ive done a water change this week so not sure whats going on.It started going down hill a few days ago.My magnifica is looking awesome and all my other inhabitants.Any ideas?
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e394_matman351_IMAG0214.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
That doesn't look good - the gaping mantle and reduced extension indicates stress from something. Does it react to a change in light i.e. wave your hand over the top of it?

How long have you had it for?? Have any fish been taking a bite??

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Its only been in my tank a week,its been suggested that something maybe annoying it,but im not sure.Ive moved it up off the gravel and put it on piece of pvc.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Does it react to a change in light?

Where did you get it from? Has the byssal gland been damaged?? Are there any little snails underneath the clam??

Sorry for all the questions but I am just trying to understand what might be wrong.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Does it react to a change in light?

Where did you get it from? Has the byssal gland been damaged?? Are there any little snails underneath the clam??

Sorry for all the questions but I am just trying to understand what might be wrong.
Not sure what a byssal gland is lol.There arent any snails underneath that im aware of.I think something has gotten into it maybe a bristle worm?All my other inhabitants are fine i cant see how it would be water related.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The byssal gland is used by the clam to attach to the substrate - it is located underneath the clam between the two shells. It is a white colour.

It can be easily damaged which can lead to the demise of the clam.

Where did you buy it from? A retail store or from a private individual?

And does it react to light i.e. close up when you wave your hand over it or if a fish swims too close. If not, then I wouldn't hold out much hope for it to survive.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Righto.I bought it from a retail store.It was light sensitive yesturday but it didn't move much today.Ill check it in the morning and see how it goes.

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
Just Because your other inhabitants are fine doesnt mean the clam will be, ESPECIALLY when it comes to water parameters. Your othe rinhabitants could be used to the water parameters in your tank, OR, it could be something specifically to do with clams.

For instance, clams do not do well in a low nitrate environment, this could be causeing stress.

If you can post the water parameters i can have a look to see if there is infact anything that could be cause for concern, what do you have to loose?

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
In my opinion....when they gape like the picture, they are dying. Looks like your clam was dying before you got him.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
I took it out this morning,it wasn't light sensitive and was gaping further.It didn't react when I picked it up either.I did notice there were no threads coming out of the bottom of it and a gaping hole.Here is a pic of my other clam which show the part that was missing.
aimg.tapatalk.com_79d88992_8d00_8c8d.jpg

And another of the top.
aimg.tapatalk.com_79d88992_8d38_94ea.jpg

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
having similar problems. mine has been fine for 6 months and yesterday started deteriorating not sure why.

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
That byssal gland that Magic mentioned is key to survival, my lfs spent ages carefully removing my clam that had stuck to the glass bottom on the display tank. My LFS then showed me the correct way to remove the clam from water.... they showed me that the clam needs to be inverted upon entering atmosphere.

malau

Oct 13, 2011
From the first pic it seems it will see the god very soon. I lost 2 this year due to the stupid invasive macro blocked the light and now I moved the last one (which is really good color) to my frag tank. Before I lost those it looks exactly the same as the first pic here. I am not sure if the clam you have requires sand bed or rock but I normally place mine on the rock and let it attach when they are happy...