News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Chat Box
Hello everyone,

There will be an update about a few new things soon. However I would like us all to talk about the chat box.

In the post field it strictly says that no talk about reef-related topics should be mentioned in the chat box. This rule has been broken time and time again by members. The result of this action is less discussions on the forums (where information can be accessed by other members) and instead wasted in the chat box.

The Reefuge is cautioning members that if the chat box is used for reef-related discussions from this point forward and it continues to affect forum activity, we will have no choice but to disable it.

Thanks.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Fair call if it's really stopping people from using the forums for information sharing.

It does feel more like a group discussion rather than the traditional thread format which I like a lot about a chat box. It's very snappy back and forth discussion which is really nice sometime when you don't want to wait for someone to read a thread. Each has their own pos/negs.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I think its indicative of the maturity of the current forum members and the stage our tanks are at. Being more into a maintain mode rather than build.

Getting new members I think is the key to activity/growth however with the current economy not sure how many people are committing to such an $$$ hobby.

I think its indicative of the maturity of the current forum members and the stage our tanks are at. Being more into a maintain mode rather than build.

Getting new members I think is the key to activity/growth however with the current economy not sure how many people are committing to such an $$$ hobby.
Yeah a lot of LFS are hurting & a lot of reefers selling up. Even the power bills are draconian now :(

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I think the chat box is good for reefing questions that dont warent their own posts. But also not many people on here like to chat about other things with random people on the interwebs, i dont really care, but its like discussing who you vote for, odds are someone is going to find something to bitch about. And sometimes it gets out of hand

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
If the chat is the cause for the lower post volume, why has it become an issue now and it wasn't before when the site was growing so quickly? Pretty sure the chat was there then?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Fair call if it's really stopping people from using the forums for information sharing.

It does feel more like a group discussion rather than the traditional thread format which I like a lot about a chat box. It's very snappy back and forth discussion which is really nice sometime when you don't want to wait for someone to read a thread. Each has their own pos/negs.

To be fair there's nothing stopping a thread from being snappy either.

I personally use the chat box to talk crap not as much as @vman used to :p lol with his goodnight wishes and what not.

However I have asked a quick question or 2 in chat box which has inevitably turned into a thread, kind of like when @Sam Parker and @malau were discussing a nano chiller and the minime build Sam was making it ended up in a thread right after.

I guest there's a few ways of looking at it I mean I don't agree that the threads slow down because less people are building I mean that might be true that less people are starting up however there are still a lot of people with questions or curiosity and wanting to talk about new and upcoming things.

I'll also admit I've been slack on my post count.

:) everything has highs and lows we're a big family here let's keep the spirit alive!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If the chat is the cause for the lower post volume, why has it become an issue now and it wasn't before when the site was growing so quickly? Pretty sure the chat was there then?
It hasn't become an issue now, Mr Fuge is just saying something about it now is all. I've often come on to the forum to see something reefing related that interests me in the chat box, but only the end of it is visible because its temporary. Thats pretty annoying! Having this information in a thread means everyone gets to see it and have access to it long term and at any time, much better for everyone on the forum. I understand it is nice to get a live audience when you have a question, but overall posting a thread is much better for everyone and can be referred back to by the original poster in the future as well, so its win win.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Well how about that then? Design a live question forum. Say in the chat box section. Purely for quick or short questions. But also have it so it saves to a place for a week or so.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Oh by chat box, I mean like the conversation ones at the bottom of the page. So you can elect to be part of the chat or not. But a way to make it assessable to mobile users would be a good idea too

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
A chat based forum sounds interesting lol we are so Americanised " 'merica, I done need me a re-mote to press me re-mote" lol

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i dont usually use the chat for reefing related posts more to just catch up with friends.

But if it has to go it has to go, im not to bothered, threads can be just as fun :D

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
He actually asked about you a while ago if that makes you feel better :p