Reef Discussion

Bubble Tip Anemoe (bta) - Do The Bubbles Signify Good Or Bad?
What Do You Think?

When I originally get into this hobby, I was told that a BTA displaying "bubbles" or "bubbling up" showed that the anemone was healthy & happy. Over the years though I've seen them bubble up in awful conditions as well as in what appeared to be good conditions.

The only thing I've observed reliably is that BTA tentacles tend to get long and flowing (I call it snaky) and then what I can only describe as stringy (thin & ratty looking), just before they split into two. The act of splitting itself is hotly debated as being and indicator of good or poor - and we really don't know.

I recently read a draft paper being written by a friend training as a marine biologist, as part of his research he had already quizzed me extensively so he had piqued my interest.

He propounds (and I'm paraphrasing) that the vast majority of sea anemone species will have long flowing tentacles when they are healthy AND actively seeking food because it is when in this state that the tentacles become most sticky. He also observed that a feeding response can most reliably be achieved when in this state, taking into consideration things like speed of response & success, ie did they ultimately consume the product AND not disgorge it again within hours.

I have to admit that I still have no real conclusions of my own but his thoughts are very interesting at the least.
What I'm wondering is what are your thoughts and observations on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
mine have always been bubbly until a certain size, when they then become long and flowing, which is how they are all day until they recline for the evening a little. None have split in the 8 months I've had them. They usually get stringy when the clowns bash it away so they can lay eggs or some other knock from another fish has occurred.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
They certainly look more alive/happy when the tenticals are dancing around in the flow and they must be searching for food.. Although I personally think if the tenticals are not constantly fat throughout the length it not a good sign, however just my thoughts founded on only ever keeping two... :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I originally put 4 different coloured BTA's in a ricotta cheese basket at the top of my tank to contain them. For whatever reason, 2 types have thrived and semi-regularly divide, and 2 didn't and eventually subsided. Of the two types, one keeps its bubble tips 100% of the time. The other elongates its tentacles very often with no pattern as far as I have noticed.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
@Dr. Schell mentioned this on another thread:
looks like the anemone is on the way to recovery, often they will 'bubble-up' then they are in the process of "re-stocking" their symbiotic algae. Continue to feed it and keep the water quality up.
But yes, interesting question. I know we think of them as prettier/healthier when they bubble, but makes sense that they aren't always this way in the wild at least.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
From my experience (although I have no empicirical studies to support this), anemones that bleeach, tend to 'bubble-up'. I suspect that thsi provides macimum surface area for the symbiotic algae to migrate to the 'tips of the tenticles' and get closer to light. In addition, this action would also shield most of the anemone (the oral disk) from light

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
What Do You Think?

When I originally get into this hobby, I was told that a BTA displaying "bubbles" or "bubbling up" showed that the anemone was healthy & happy. Over the years though I've seen them bubble up in awful conditions as well as in what appeared to be good conditions.

The only thing I've observed reliably is that BTA tentacles tend to get long and flowing (I call it snaky) and then what I can only describe as stringy (thin & ratty looking), just before they split into two. The act of splitting itself is hotly debated as being and indicator of good or poor - and we really don't know.

I recently read a draft paper being written by a friend training as a marine biologist, as part of his research he had already quizzed me extensively so he had piqued my interest.

He propounds (and I'm paraphrasing) that the vast majority of sea anemone species will have long flowing tentacles when they are healthy AND actively seeking food because it is when in this state that the tentacles become most sticky. He also observed that a feeding response can most reliably be achieved when in this state, taking into consideration things like speed of response & success, ie did they ultimately consume the product AND not disgorge it again within hours.

I have to admit that I still have no real conclusions of my own but his thoughts are very interesting at the least.

I don't believe that no bubble means unhealthy They look prettier with bubble but don't believe it determines health. I have had 7 bta and all bar one had bubbles at all times even when one split their tentacles are all very sticky. I have read that it depends in lighting. If having to stretch for light they loose bubbles to reach up further rather than moving around to find more light. As the light dim often the bubbles will return. My bta that split had huge bubbles at that time. I also have read quite a few ideas on the splitting debate - happy or stressed. Opinions seem to be if stressed and under threat it will split and that section will move away from that area. If it splits due to just wanting to multiply the new section will remain very close to the area Mine split twice. & remained right next to mummy.

I have three bubble tips in my tank, one green tip one orange and one with pink tips. However in time each Nem has had its color fade and my last one, the pink one. Is too now fading and will soon look just like the other two i suspect. They tend to all become colorless in regards to the tips. By that i do not mean white, just that they loose the color that the tips had. Is there something i need to add to make color come back? I do 10% NSW each week. I suppliment with seachem reef trace and plus, also dose reef complete and reef carbonate. Tank readings are great 0N .25F 520C 8kh

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
From my experience (although I have no empicirical studies to support this), anemones that bleeach, tend to 'bubble-up'. I suspect that thsi provides macimum surface area for the symbiotic algae to migrate to the 'tips of the tenticles' and get closer to light. In addition, this action would also shield most of the anemone (the oral disk) from light
This has been a theory of mine since the mid 90s when BTAs started to be available on a regular basis. I've noticed that even ritteris will bubble when they're in a lower light situation then they like.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I should add that BTAs were a rarity here in the USA back then. I got pissed off one time and ordered 20 and damn if I didn't get all 20 that time, lol. You'd get LTA, ritteris and malus, but it was the rare occasion that you got a BTA.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
This has been a theory of mine since the mid 90s when BTAs started to be available on a regular basis. I've noticed that even ritteris will bubble when they're in a lower light situation then they like.
The Presence or absence of bubbles on the tentacles is not generally considered to be an indication of the health of the anemone.
As my LEDs are ramping up the GBTAs go from bubbles to billowing tentacles so I think we're onto something doc.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
These are mine when they were directly under the LEDs, tied to the baffle of the tank in a basket - I now have them directly under a metal hallide and its the same - the one on the left has bubble tips 100% of the time, I've never seen it change. The one on the right does what it wants.

I should mention too that all the clones of the one type do the same thing at the same time. So with the yellow one on the right, they all elongate, half bubble or full bubble in unison!

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have three bubble tips in my tank, one green tip one orange and one with pink tips. However in time each Nem has had its color fade and my last one, the pink one. Is too now fading and will soon look just like the other two i suspect. They tend to all become colorless in regards to the tips. By that i do not mean white, just that they loose the color that the tips had. Is there something i need to add to make color come back? I do 10% NSW each week. I suppliment with seachem reef trace and plus, also dose reef complete and reef carbonate. Tank readings are great 0N .25F 520C 8kh

What sort of lighting do you have and how deep is the aquarium?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I should mention too that all the clones of the one type do the same thing at the same time. So with the yellow one on the right, they all elongate, half bubble or full bubble in unison!
Except today apparently! While I can't be there to watch them 24/7 this is the first time I've seen the yellow one with bubbles on some and not on others. So it appears I was wrong.

IMAG0550.jpg

As close as I could get, sorry its an awkward angle to get my phone in to get a shot.
IMAG0547.jpg

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
This is a very interesting topic , I no longer have one in my tank but I wonder, is Flow is the Issue?
Too much flow and the tentacles lose their bubble???