Reef Discussion

BTA HELP PLZ
hey all i need some help with my bta that i got about 5 or 6 mouth ago, well what has happened is i had the bta under t5s lights for 5 mouths and it was doing great it was growing big and looked awesome untill the day i got my leds as soon as i put them on my tank about 1 hour later i look and my bta is all closed up i new it had to be from the leds but i left it for a week just to see if it would come good but no luck at all every night it opens back up and looks fine but as soon as the leds come on its back to looking like its going to die so what i did was put it on the sand bed to see if that would help because i thought it was getting to much light and when i did a few hours later the anemone was back out and looking ok but soon after it was closed up again so i have had it on the sand bed the hole time now and its just not doing well i have tryed to feed it at light when it comes out but its not sticky any more i think its on its last legs :(ok hear is the weird thing i had another bta a bigger one the was only under the t5 for about a mouth and the hole time it was under the t5s it looks like shit but as soon as i got the leds it did awesome never looked better, i just really dont no what to do should i just leave it and see how it go's? i think it will die in my tank if i do or should i pull it out now b4 it does??? here is some pics
this pic was taken 10 mins after i put the leds on my tank,
ai1253.photobucket.com_albums_hh587_joshy9177_DSCF4099.jpg

this was it under the t5s
ai1253.photobucket.com_albums_hh587_joshy9177_DSCF3083.jpg

here is what it looks like now :(
ai1253.photobucket.com_albums_hh587_joshy9177_DSCF4374.jpg

ai1253.photobucket.com_albums_hh587_joshy9177_DSCF4373.jpg

any help would be awesome thanks guys

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I would stop playing with it. It is probably trying to adjust to your new lights. Are they a lot brighter than your old ones? Is it hosting any clownfish?

I would stop playing with it. It is probably trying to adjust to your new lights. Are they a lot brighter than your old ones? Is it hosting any clownfish?
i haven't really played with it at all only to move it to the sand bed and to take that last pic but anyways yes the leds are so much brighter and yes the clowns some times go in it at night when it opens back up

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Reduce the intensity or lighting period by say 20% and gradually build it up over a few weeks to let it adjust. Keep the feeding opportunities up and run some GAC. It is both adjusting to the LED's relative par but also to a emitted light spectrum shift. So a double whammy really, plus add a flow change and more lighting changes since the sand bed relocation....so make it a five time whammy!!!!!

I have no idea what the chemistry behind it is, but when adjusting to LED burn some anemones often leach something and it stresses the poor nems out even more. Running activated carbon absorbs this chemical and reduces the stress ;)

FWIW...GAC is manna from heaven and i reckon EVERYONE should always run GAC of some form.

Reduce the intensity or lighting period by say 20% and gradually build it up over a few weeks to let it adjust. Keep the feeding opportunities up and run some GAC. It is both adjusting to the LED's relative par but also to a emitted light spectrum shift. So a double whammy really, plus add a flow change and more lighting changes since the sand bed relocation....so make it a five time whammy!!!!!

I have no idea what the chemistry behind it is, but when adjusting to LED burn some anemones often leach something and it stresses the poor nems out even more. Running activated carbon absorbs this chemical and reduces the stress ;)

FWIW...GAC is manna from heaven and i reckon EVERYONE should always run GAC of some form.
ok ill do that and see how it go's, and i only just put in some new activated carbon so that should help:) , all so here is a pic i just took the white lights had been off for about 1 hour and you can see how much better it looks
ai1253.photobucket.com_albums_hh587_joshy9177_DSCF4375.jpg

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Awesome, dont be suprised if he now does a massive dump and goes for a walk ;) Remember to keep the food up to him as he's now getting an altered light source. Gradually increase your light intensity by 1%? per day or so AFTER he starts to look back to full health.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
being able to see the rock through its mouth isnt realy promising mate.
It may live, it may not, i reckon your in with a 50/50 chance, one of my nems split once, both mouths then opened up like that exposing the rock behind it, one survived one didn't, both were treated the same

being able to see the rock through its mouth isnt realy promising mate.
It may live, it may not, i reckon your in with a 50/50 chance, one of my nems split once, both mouths then opened up like that exposing the rock behind it, one survived one didn't, both were treated the same
thats not the rock thats its guts inside it, its just not a very good pic but yer the anemone is doing good and is getting better everyday :)