Reef Discussion

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Just started using brightwell phos e
Needed to boost my system as my phosphate levels were high due to lack of maintenance.
Slowly bringing the levels down so as not to shock my coral.

Reactions: MTG

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
I also use pool starva. I dose it into my skimmer, then through a 5 micron sock. Levels were 7-10 ppm. Now .25-.75

Braddles

Sep 10, 2011
Brisbane
Brightwell Phosphate E 500mls (NOT 250mls) for $36.00 at thereefshop.com.au

I have seen it for $90 for the 500ml one - which is disgusting!! People need to earn a living sure, but...

Alternative is Lantham Chloride (aka concentrated version of "PhsophatE" without the pretty label) from Bunnings - will set you back a whopping $20 for a LITRE!!!

Kind regards,

Brad.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Brightwell Phosphate E 500mls (NOT 250mls) for $36.00 at thereefshop.com.au

I have seen it for $90 for the 500ml one - which is disgusting!! People need to earn a living sure, but...

Alternative is Lantham Chloride (aka concentrated version of "PhsophatE" without the pretty label) from Bunnings - will set you back a whopping $20 for a LITRE!!!

Kind regards,

Brad.
Yeah a lot of people seem to be starting to use lanth. Sounds like as long as you follow the instructions (as you would with a product like Phosphate E), it's both works great and is awesome value.

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
i bought bunning special for cheap myself, my phosphates were high, needless to say, there down to 0.0 - 0.1 average on my hanna checker. worked wanders

thanks @Buddy lol :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
make sure you monitor fish and coral health as it can have bad side effects and cause damage to fish gills / coral flesh

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
i used 0.5ml a day straight into my skimmer, got my phosphates down and my goodies in the tank all seem very happy. i have stopped dosing it a week ago now and just run rowaphos to keep it stable now. so far so good. i test it every second day still but everything seems happy.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
make sure you monitor fish and coral health as it can have bad side effects and cause damage to fish gills / coral flesh
Have you got a link about this? I wouldn't mind having a read.

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
I called the company about it. The pool shop gave me their number. They said they have large scale aquariums using t. As ling as you follow the guides, and have 5 micron sock after the skimmer, you will be fine.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
I've been wanting to try lanthanum chloride dosing for a while now but cant find a 5 micron sock were do u guy's get them from?

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
i found some for you

http://www.clarencewaterfilters.com...g-Filter-to-suit-20-inch-BB-Bag-Housings.html
http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/230835859425?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

the best way to dose it is INTO the skimmer diluted with RO Water. I was using 3ML Mixed with 500ML of water, dripping at a rate or around 1 drip every 1-20 seconds. Taking around 12-18 hours to go through the 500ML. I gave it a mix every few hours.

The filter socks go into the skimmer overflow, this reduces the chances of any escaping into the tank.
Dosing into the DT is madness. it will bing to phosphate, but wont be removed.

What i find is that dosing into the skimmer increses the skimmate output AND catches lots of crap in the filter bag. Infact i try and run the filter sock after my skimmer all the time (yes its one of the really long ones) but it collects lots of shit. Then into the washing machine.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
If the phos is bound then why should it matter if it is removed or not?