Reef Discussion

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I know nothing of it but would like to hear more. Seems to be a lot of happy users on forums

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Everything you read on it will be on overseas forums, it is essentially brightwells versions of zeobac and from all accounts I have read, just as good.

Issue is that in order to get it into the country brightwell needs to supply a list of exactly what is in it to get it through aqis. They refuse t do this which either means that there is something in it that isn't allowed in here so they are not bothering, they do not want to release their "secret recipe" or maybe a little bit of both.

If you try privately importing it, it will cop a dose of gamma radiation and any bacteria will either be destroyed or severely reduced.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks @NiCd,

I can kinda remember you saying that a long time ago but could not find the thread.
Not looking to import it ourselves, it is already here on shop shelves.
If it has been Gamma'd into Hulk go juice, would it be worth trying or how would one test it other then using it lol:)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Have a chat with @brendore he should be able to give you a bit on indication how its come in and been treated. If it is unradiated and now on our shelves that is pretty exciting news !

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
If it has been gamma-ray'd it'd be as useless as putting deionised water into your tank. Gamma irradiation is probably the strongest form of destruction this side of the sun. When I was working at Aquasonic, they were the sole distributors of Brightwell Aquatics, however that was 4 or 5 years ago, so things may have changed, tho it's not likely because as far as I know, pretty much every other Brightwell product is bought off them. Going on this tho @NiCd is right that it could have come in through a backdoor, which means it most likely would have been irradiated, otherwise it would be an illegally sold product if it hasn't.

Having said that tho, ZeoBac is the equivelant product and would work the same way

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks guy's,
Deer Park Aquarium has it on the shelf but is almost sold out. 3 bottles walked out just while we were there. The rep is in there this week so Dave is going to ask the question about Gamma & go from there.
Premier Pet is also bringing Brightwell in along side Aquasonic. Not sure is Aquasonic is getting out of Brightwell or not.

:)

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I wouldn't know either mate. Though if Prem Pet have as much trouble as I did squeezing out the info AQIS requires from Chris, I'm doubting they'll have much luck getting it through AQIS either

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
With vagueness like that you can only give it a try. "It just came in the container"... Container from where exactly would have been my next question :p
You can only give it a try man, if you don't notice much happening with your nutrient/nitrate levels in about 7-10 days you know it's probably been gam'd

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
We weren't sure about posting this because it came to us from what we believe is a reliable source, but we don't know the source. We are told that the source that "looked" at a sample came back with the following reply. @brendore maybe able to comment about the info we got.
Of the sample "looked"at, there was a 5% die off. I can't recall if the comment was 9 out of 10 strains of bacteria something something or if there was 10 different strains of bacteria.
But basically, you were getting what the bottle advertised. The guy does have the equipment & know how to test this sort of stuff but will remain anonymous.