Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Blue Xenia
Hi guys,

I received a blue xenia as a bonus in a coral order and it got a little knocked during shipping. It looks like it isn't extending its polyps fully and some of the coral has gone white. Is there anything I can do to help it recover? Best position in the tank?

Not sure how hardy these are.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Xenia are generally fairly hardy, but if conditions are not to their liking they can turn to mush very quickly.

Time will tell which way yours go - they like moderate to strong lighting and moderate to strong water flow.

Can you take a picture of where the coral has turned white?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Will try and get a pic of how it has turned out. When I went and checked on it the night I posted this, it had completely hollowed out in the centre of the coral and had almost detached from the rock. I decided to squash it between two rocks with the polyps still exposed to flow and while this didn't stop the majority of it from melting away, there are still some polyps remaining which look ok colour wise. Not looking too happy still. Really hoping they will recover and grow.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Your lucky to get a blue xenia as a bonus they are nice corals ;)

Shame about the poor shipping though, the white would be a necrosis film eating away the tissue good flow is important to help heal the coral. Afraid squashing it between the rocks would not have helped. Gently washing in clean sea water (discard the water) will help remove the necrotic tissue, adding a little iodine to the rinse helps too. The alternative is to remove the necrotic portion and attach the good bit to a new base.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Pete, yes I was very lucky, and very well looked after *wink wink* hard to explain, maybe 'squashing' wasn't the right word, but I did put a small rock on the white hollow area to stop it from blowing away in the current and I think I would have lost the lot if I hadn't. The remaining polyps are beginning to regain depth of colour so I am pretty sure the remnants are going to survive and grow :)