Reef Discussion

Good luck mate! Like i mentioned, i gerni'd all the badly affected rocks and then started to run Rowaphos to draw Phos down. Even after this i still saw some growth but this growth was from what @ReeferRob said is still stored in the rock. This is a photo o before i gerni'd it..
algae.png

So there is a way back, i have none of this hair algae remaining... It took 1L of Rowaphos and two months to get all of it.

Trentwalsh

Dec 21, 2013
Werribee
Ok, i dont do zeovit system, am going to purchase some clean up crew tomorow, alk is currently being lowered( it takes time)... Everything is working perfectly fine, ive stopped adding aminos n coral foods, stopped vodka dosing today..... Just did a massive scrub n clean of it all added a filter sock ill change over tomorow or just remove......caught most of it....it dosent get that long...say after a weeks growth it is still only maximum 1cm long and brown...definatly not green...when i scrub it off it loves to get stuck on corals...i just spent 90minutes giving it a damn good work over, thank you everybody for the help and suggestions

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Just keep at it, use good make up water and a good GFO and you'll beat it. Algae is as simple as nutrients in, nutrients out. The rock in M's 60 cube is loaded with phosphates, we've turned the corner and it's dying back quite well now. When we got it the hair algae was 10cm long in places! We pulled 3kg of the shit off the rocks, I'm quite serious about that. I think the guy that had it before us used plain tap water as make up. A good skimmer as well, this is one piece of equipment where you don't want to skimp, it's probably the most important part of any marine system.

Trentwalsh

Dec 21, 2013
Werribee
Ok, i use marine pure and real reef rock, zero liverock, and i have a RE bk mini160 skimmmer, so wilk just continue to battle it out, see how it goes over the next 2 weeks with these changes... And monitor phos n nitrates

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Forgot about the real reef Rock! From the pics I've seen Trent, the algae outbreak is nothing. I'd just keep manually removing and keeping at it. All part of a new tank cycle!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I can't say as I'm a fan of the Real Reef rock either. I'm all about saving the reefs as much as possible, but nothing beats a few pieces of good wild rock or someone's rock after they broke down their reef tank. When I buy "used" rock out of someone's tank that I'm not going to use right away, I cook it in a heated tub with a good bit of GFO to absorb what comes out.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You can target patches of it with 3% Hydrogen peroxide using a pipette or syringe - purchase from the first aid section of Supermarket and use 1 or 2 ml at a time. It will kill it off for the most part, though some will return - just keep it away from any invertebrates and don't apply it directly to them.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok, i dont do zeovit system, am going to purchase some clean up crew tomorow, alk is currently being lowered( it takes time)... Everything is working perfectly fine, ive stopped adding aminos n coral foods, stopped vodka dosing today..... Just did a massive scrub n clean of it all added a filter sock ill change over tomorow or just remove......caught most of it....it dosent get that long...say after a weeks growth it is still only maximum 1cm long and brown...definatly not green...when i scrub it off it loves to get stuck on corals...i just spent 90minutes giving it a damn good work over, thank you everybody for the help and suggestions
Since it's not a Zeovit tank no need to change Alk ,
mate.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Heres a few snap shots, its brown...and abit hard to see via crappy phone pictures....but ive tried.....thats whats left after lastnight...... Maybe i should push hard abd scrub it each and every night till it dosent come back.......
Oh easy done, the pics help to see the extent of the problem and its very manageable. Stop scrubbing and hit it with Hydrogen peroxide as many times as you need to until it doesn't come back. You're doing it the hard way right now, lol :p

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
2620.jpg

Safeway - in the first aid section. It's used to treat wounds. Apply it with either a syringe or a pipette directly to the algae.

Here is a video of the kind of reaction you will see - except it won't be this dramatic as this person is using a much stronger dosage in a small tub. The bubbles are just oxygen, nothing toxic.

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
I have green hair algae aswell.
Had some rock given to me, that's how it got into tank.
I got my self a lawnmower bleny last Monday and the little fella is nailing it.
It's only an 80lt nano tank though.

Trentwalsh

Dec 21, 2013
Werribee
@macca_75 sure is....no other system ive had has done this, had cycled marine pure directly added to the systen(was well established)algae isnt in certin spots....but over alll...evrry cm of rock has it...and cannot remove from the system as its 1 rock piece with all sps attached

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Sounds like you just need to manage your way through a cycle.

It's probably back in the notes somewhere, but what are your parameters and the brand/s of test kits used?