Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
right....i'll bring it back on track... @OSCAR85 any ideas? oh and btw.....getting the avast vibe and a pacific sun kore 5th and will be dosing zeo completely so you will hav no choice but to be nice and give me advice on it haha
Back on track ... That's the ultimate hi-jacking to date. Got no choice but to report you to the tang police... :p

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
right....i'll bring it back on track... @OSCAR85 any ideas? oh and btw.....getting the avast vibe and a pacific sun kore 5th and will be dosing zeo completely so you will hav no choice but to be nice and give me advice on it haha
awesome lol

I think potassium is a general one to keep on track and see how that goes with colour improvement.

I have also had some help with red sea colours A Iodine. :)

Tbh in ultra low nutrient tanks, i think the real pinks come out in t5 lighting

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
awesome lol

Tbh in ultra low nutrient tanks, i think the real pinks come out in t5 lighting
I beg to differ. As a LED head for five years, since running T5 for a very short time already I know the differences.

My belief is that LEDs can bring out your reds and pinks.
I had no problem with those colours on my Pocci and seriatopora hystrix.

Growth patterns are different for one on the seriatopora but achieving the reds , pinks and purple is by no means impossible.
LEDs long and lanky. Growth slow prob due to me not feeding.
T5 squat and bushy. Growth noticeably quicker feeding higher priority.

I believe the problem lies in PAR delivery. Forget ramping up and down over an extended period of time.
Shower your coral with maximum lighting intensity say after an hour of ramping up sunrise.
Provide a bit of downtime rest after about three and a half hours in the form of "cloud" say 30 percent full spectrum for about an hour. Then hit the reef with full power again for another 3.5hours.
Ramp down with your blues for an hour for your sunset.

I never subscribed to the LED pink colour unattainable theory.
I kind of think its a case of low PAR numbers from LED fixtures.

My secret weapon was RedSea coral pro salt and B Balance. Weekly water changes 10 percent!

These are Illumagic LED photos...

ai744.photobucket.com_albums_xx85_slin1977_image_zpsc23b76a2.jpg

ai744.photobucket.com_albums_xx85_slin1977_038_1.jpg

ai744.photobucket.com_albums_xx85_slin1977_034.jpg

ai744.photobucket.com_albums_xx85_slin1977_013_2.jpg

ai744.photobucket.com_albums_xx85_slin1977_010_7.jpg

I believe it's how you get to grips with lighting.... Perhaps T5 are easier but I don't quite think so , right now I am going through exactly the same break in period I had when I first shifted to LED.
The first coral I bleached with LED was superman monti.
Currently doing the same with T5.

Last edited:

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
yeah i do agree, i still like leds over t5, my issue is complicated b4 zeo pink birds nest was very fast growing and very pink but all others dull.

After zeo all colours and growth is amazing except for birds nest.

these are my colours under leds..i do have good pinks blue and purples i suppose.

I also now have my 3 fav plating monti's purple green annnnnd RED!
Red has been in the tank for about 8 weeks and is doing really well.

IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
@slin1977 could you pretty please post or send me the settings you used for your blaze?? I would love to see it as I'm one of those guilty of pretty much not changing the stock settings haha

@OSCAR85 stunning as usual :D :cum

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Well i wont sugar coat this anymore....this is simply a shit tank! lol

@OSCAR85 you my friend have done well :)

beeteedubs....you're missing a fair bit of sand are you trying to phase it out? (or is it out of the tank getting its daily bleaching)

its music to my ears seeing that your sand isnt crystal white anymore :) you are human after all.

What type of clams are they? really loving the direction you've taken.

any new fish on the list?

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Well i wont sugar coat this anymore....this is simply a shit tank! lol

@OSCAR85 you my friend have done well :)

beeteedubs....you're missing a fair bit of sand are you trying to phase it out? (or is it out of the tank getting its daily bleaching)

its music to my ears seeing that your sand isnt crystal white anymore :) you are human after all.

What type of clams are they? really loving the direction you've taken.

any new fish on the list?
Haha yeah I've been a bit lazy with sand vacuuming. I also reduced the sand bed by 50%.
No fish in a while, in my opinion it's fully stocked. Just gotta let it all grow now.

I don't know what kind of clams they are but they are all blue lol.