Reef Discussion

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
PWM controlled light

Nylon washers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29062966...WNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_838wt_845
Self tapping screws
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/37060616...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1377wt_845
Power supply
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25108025...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1396wt_853
7 x LED Drivers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/38044534...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2957wt_957
LEDs
Main Display 5 CW (XP-G), 3 NW (XP-G), 12 RB (6xXP-E, 6xXT-E), 4 B (XP-E), 2 R(XT-E), 4 UV
Refuge light 1 CW (XP-G), 3 NW (XP-G)
2 x 600mmX22mmX76mm Heatsinks (Need to trim down to 400mm)
60cm T5HO fitting (Donor Shell) (Trim down to 450mm)

Still need the box to house the powersupply and drivers + one more driver for the fuge light, drill bits and Arctic Silver to mount the LEDs. Fans will be kindly donated from the TL-450 LED build lol

Edit: forgot to add these connectors to the list as well for swapping out LEDs when I want to.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/29058041...WAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_792wt_845

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
For anyone thinking of starting an Arduino build, I would recommend that you start from scratch in learning how the Arduino works. I have a PDF of the 'Getting Started with the Arduino' book which provides a great introduction - if anyone wants a copy shoot me a PM.

Yes, you could download a complete sketch from the net and build a controller using exactly the same components as someone else and hope that it will work exactly as you expect it to. But, the reality is that this is extremely unlikely to happen and you will then need to work out what is wrong.

At least if you have a basic understanding of the Arduino environment, and of the C programming language, then you will have some idea where to start looking, and will have some idea if someone is trying to provide you with some assistance :)

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Can't disagree with the above at all. With all the mini projects I've tested my Arduino with, having even the basic knowledge with writing code goes a long way. There were a few times I was left scratching my head, wondering "How the hell did that happen?". I'm slowly learning the code though which is helping

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
For anyone thinking of starting an Arduino build, I would recommend that you start from scratch in learning how the Arduino works. I have a PDF of the 'Getting Started with the Arduino' book which provides a great introduction - if anyone wants a copy shoot me a PM.

Yes, you could download a complete sketch from the net and build a controller using exactly the same components as someone else and hope that it will work exactly as you expect it to. But, the reality is that this is extremely unlikely to happen and you will then need to work out what is wrong.

At least if you have a basic understanding of the Arduino environment, and of the C programming language, then you will have some idea where to start looking, and will have some idea if someone is trying to provide you with some assistance :)

Have to agree with the above MagicJ, but I'd rather look at the bits people are using then the bits I find thinking they are the right ones, then finding out they not made anymore lol. Same as looking at LED's, if I didn't look at so many other DIY LED builds, I never would have started ours. :)
And thanks rockerpeller, I now know what bits to look for lol.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I purchased the screen 1st, Looked at the connections when it arrived, then thought f*#k all that wiring, and then purchased the shield from Itead lol. Now I'm going to Itead for anymore bits I need.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
How is everyone going with this?? I have decided to join the party and have a play with the touch screen etc. so I may be able to provide some assistance when you are putting it together.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I spent most of yesterday reading up about arduino, think I'm going to purchase one just to have a play around with for now and implement it into my tank control when the tank is up and running and I have closer to full understanding of it.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I ordered some bits last night :)

Arduino Mega 2560
TFT 3.2" screen - I decided on the widescreen version which gives you an extra 80 pixels on the long side
RTC

I have also ordered some TLC5940 chips - these can be used as a port expander i.e. they convert 4 pins into 16 PWM pins with a 12 bit duty cycle control which allows for 4,096 levels of control compared to the standard 256. These can also be daisy chained if required. I got these for 2 reasons:

- it appears that the TFT screen uses around 40 pins which won't leave much for anything else
- rather than have the led drivers remote from the light fixture, and thus having 10+ wires leading up to the lights, I am thinking of installing the port expander and drivers in the light fixture i.e. I will only need around 6 wires going up to the lights. If I can get my led drivers sorted out I think this will be a good solution.

For me, this will be a medium term project (6 months +) as I plan to effectively re-write all my existing code, and tidy it up at the same time.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Cant wait to see this happen! I have to start on mine soon.... Dreading the hours of coding!
That's the fun part :)

Once you get the hang of the language it is not that hard and you will generally be able to find existing code for most of what you want to do - it's then just a matter of working it into your existing code.